Programming

This is why they invented jQuery.

I shouldn’t have to add jquery to a modern front end framework to get basic mouse events behaving consistently.

Well until about the last year most sites still had to support IE-11. Some still do.

And for pretty much the history of the internet before that there were 1000s of "I shouldn’t have to"s like the one you’re describing. Now that browser weirdness is almost a thing of the past, vanilla JS is a lot more fun and appealing.

Lol I just inherited some code and there’s a variable named FLAVOR_MASTER

I want that to be my title at this company!

Found another fun one - “updation.”

That should be a word. How is that not a word?

Eta: lol it is a word.

interesting talks over here for db nerds

+1

My latest task is to integrate/automate our russian servers into our existing infrastructure and utils. I finally got over the hurdles of learning aws, and now I’ve got this russian cloud provider mail.ru. The site won’t even let you log in in english.

Doubt I’m ever gonna complain about aws again, this is already horrible. I feel like I’m in waaaay over my head right now. I absolutely hate that feeling.

1 Like

Congrats on the Parler gig! :joy:

4 Likes

Thanks for the reassurance. This one is really scary though. This is the first task I’ve been given that’s destined to go to live production. There’s like, real deadlines and upper management watching and shit. I’ve been here a year and never deployed anything into prod (i’m just a junior and it takes a while to get standing in this company), much less this cluster of applications they want to deploy. Not only that - I’m doing it on this russian cloud provider so there will be some weirdness there too. Just feels like I’m being set up for failure.

The good thing is I’m mostly just deploying and tweaking code other people have written. The bad thing is I’m deploying code other people have written. LOL. Idk if that made sense but it does to me.

It’s gonna be killer on my resume even if i fail though I think. I’ve gotten so much cloud experience in the last few months. This architecture is quite complex and serves a global audience - that experience is pretty valuable I think.

1 Like

Definitely. I’m in a similar boat with a big project (migrating our entire infrastructure from Heroku → AWS) that has eyes on it all the way up to the CEO. Our team is pretty small with just a manager that we just hired, myself, and a senior devops engineer that just put in her notice last week. She planned all of this migration and is dipping out, so a lot of this is going to be on my shoulders and it’s pretty stressful. :frowning_face: It’s such a big project for my resume though and I get paid 3x my pre-tech salary, so I’m going to stick this out as much as I can. We do have two headcount for both senior and regular infrastructure engineers, so hopefully I’ll get some solid reinforcement soon and be less stressed.

1 Like

Good luck - How do you deploy this stuff? Terraform? Switching cloud providers is such a pain in the ass even if you have infrastructure as code. Aws is like it’s own religion and does so many things differently. I understand why it is the way that it is but it doesn’t make the experience nice at all.

Also, aws documentation sucks. I much preferred google’s.

That feeling never goes away. In any project you need to monitor the % of unknown / new material, and the % of familiar stuff. That ratio sets the productivity limits, and it’s not linear. When everything is familiar it doesn’t matter what techniques you use, everything is low risk. The more unknown there is, the more planning matters, to keep the time bounded.

Careful planning can help restrict the scope to an easier problem. Careful planning makes it easier to get feedback from people who understand the unknowns better. It helps guide you when you’re mucking around in the details.

Then you go back to working on familiar stuff and you can just do it with all the planning in your head.

1 Like

I’m definitely most valuable when there are a ton of unknowns, brand new technology, etc. Throw me in the deep end and I’ll figure it out.

I get bored when too much is already known. I’m not really that interested in refining best practices.

1 Like

I want a job like maintaining this site. Occasionally click a few buttons, mostly already automated, very occasional human intervention required. Lol.

Yea I’d be bored, but being bored is better than being stressed. Stressed AND bored is horrible though.

My definition of “senior” would involve this skill.

I can do it. I’m just saying if there’s nothing new on the horizon I probably won’t be around long.

My edge is being able to wrangle the chaos of new technology, or figure out the hidden requirements of a new green field app and steer it to success. I have no interest in owning some app into its old age.

Check on a git process:

git checkout -b newworkingbranch → do some work with a series of commits → git rebase main → git checkout main → git merge newworkingbranch

does this bring all my recent work into main so that in main anyone can see that series of commits (and the comments)? (as opposed to leaving the rebase out - which I think makes it so the commits (and comments) disappear)

I’m by no means an expert, and pretty much just use git add/commit/fetch/pull/merge, but if I find myself typing git rebase I figure I made a mistake somewhere.

Not understanding totally what you want to have happen. You just merge your newworkingbranch into main and all your commits and comments will be there. If you want people to not see all your commits and comments (I don’t want anyone to see mine, I make like 400 commits a pull request because I’m adhd as hell) you do a squash merge.

2 Likes

Is there a reason you need to rebase instead of just merge?

3 Likes