Programming

I am going to do a walrus program. The Walrus games here have become a mess. If anyone wants to work on this with me LMK. I am open to using any technology or platform, from trying to create a walrus megasite for the entire internet to a small app to trying to do a plug-in for discourse. Anyone welcome from total newb to rockstar.

Very open on the scope of this. The bare minimum is keeping track of players, their picks, their scores, and an interface for players and judges to record, edit and view results. If it’s not a plugin, there might be a place for discussion.

No. Spreadsheet is not programming and no fun.

1 Like

@IrishRunner - weren’t you looking for some kind of a project?

I got impatient and decided the route I’m/we’re (if anyone else is on board) taking is to become the Mark Zuckerberg of Walrus.

http://whoisyourwalrus.com/

1 Like

Walrus submissions should be anonymous to the reviewer.

1 Like

Check out the new site: http://whoisyourwalrus.com/

1 Like

All that’s missing is an alert box that says hello

see the brand new version of whoisyourwalrus.com!

1 Like

And some MIDI
The Beatles - I Am the Walrus.mid (63.2 KB)

1 Like

eh, music will have to wait. Linking to it causes a download - I think I have to scp it up to the ether to make it work.

Also, the blink tag is deprecated!!! You have to do it in css and that’ll have to live with being a little fading color on the marqee for now. It’s a little tricky to get that working with the marqee at the same time and I’m not a css guru like Mr. Oreo.

(also, “hello smrk4” alert had it’s day in the sun. This is a production environment and I can’t have the page load waiting for that!)

I didn’t see it anyway, I block js on untrusted sites (just kidding, I saw it, that would have been a sick burn)

haha, here’s the javascript I used

<script><alert>hello smrk4</alert><install ransomware></script>

Half serious thought, because this idea ran through my head too, have you browsed around what people are doing with discourse plugins to see if you could do this as a plugin? I can see many advantages if it could sleekly blend into the discourse experience. I’m pretty sure you could take a look at how the Build Poll thingie works, and you can use that to make forms to take input like signing up and links to submissions. I’d hope there’s a way you can stash the game state on the server and access it, it should be a tiny amount of data (say 20 players max * number of categories), but I think you can make external calls to a data store?

I did think about that and I looked up stuff on the discourse discourse site. It’s definitely possible (anything is really) and maybe not too hard. There are some fields in the database already there waiting for plugins. I don’t know if there are enough to make it work easily. Discourse uses a regular database (Postgres) and it’s certainly possible to add data there. But, how tricky I dunno, because you have to make something that doesn’t get messed up when zikzak does his updates, so it’s gotta work as a plugin like they mean it to. I also thought about figuring out how to use existing features. Like Wordpress was originally just blogging software and people do all kinds of things with it and when you look at like the e-commerce plugins, you see they are using the existing blogging features.

Doing it like this would also have the benefit of creating a development environment, which is something that has been discussed.

On the other hand, it’d be a bit harder for me. I’ve done stuff similar enough to a Walrus game on my own and I can reuse some stuff. And then I already have “whoisyourwalrus.com”. And I am going to be the Zuck of Walrus.

Yeah, it just seems like if you would ultimately want people discussing submissions, liking things, having profiles, that’s a boatload of redundant work; then again you can start small and not add all that junk in the beginning.

You are going to steal our data to elect fascists around the world? Good to know.

I meant I’ll be the Ché of Walrus.

smrk4, you want in on the revolution? You were looking for a project too, no? As far as how the business is structured, we’re an anarcho-syndicalist group. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting. By a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more-

I can’t give your syndicate a firm commitment as I’m extremely busy procrastinating on a few other things, but I’m happy to test, give feedback, and if there’s a small chunk of something I can bang out I’ll volunteer

Programming is hard apparently. Mouse doesn’t work and can’t tab into these boxes. Had to control alt delete. Love the copy too hah. :thinking: