Programming

I’ll still buy something like a Python cookbook every now and then. It’s nice to just flip through for examples of what you need and not have to open 40 tabs googling and wading through pop-ups and AI-generated clickbait.

2 Likes

In what way is that better than telling ChatGPT “gimme some python code that does x”?

2 Likes

Well I was thinking about before ChatGPT.

I guess the other nice thing about a cookbook is you can flip through it and get ideas that you wouldn’t have thought of.

I finally graduated a few weeks ago with my Bachelor’s in Software Development from WGU. I went the Java path in lieu of C# when i started b/c I flipped a coin basically. I don’t know when I will actually use it or get any sort of development job. My current gig (and I have been a longtime employee) is Tier 3 tech support (WFH) for a tax software company. It pays better than (and they are mostly non existent) any jr software development job I have seen. Any development job with my current company would require me to move as they are all hybrid at best. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for any open positions that seem like a fit but I am not exactly running out the door from my current role.

There’s a lot of $ in Perl books

3 Likes

That’s a shame, I used to stop in Cincinnati when I was working the 2000 Census in Louisville. There was a bookshop there and it was about halfway between Columbus and Louisville and I’d buy a Perl book there most every week when I was driving. Ended up with about 3’ of the damn things. Don’t think I read more than one.

There was a lot of $ in PHP books too.

No $ in Java, everything’s SOLID

5 Likes

It took me a while to remember why this arrived at my house!

I will crack it open the next time I’m forced to use VI!

3 Likes

One time I tried to work through SICP. There’s an interpreter you can download for the dialect of Lisp used in the book. I think it makes you edit the code in VI. Dealing with Lisp and VI at the same time got to be too much.

1 Like