Programming

They have 525 employees?

*had

Saw a few jobs for ActBlue and thought it might be relevant to this forum. Looks like the app stack is Ruby on Rails with React on an AWS platform.

Screenshot 2023-11-07 185136

Tech job market looks bleak

Counterpoint. I just got this. Silly startups aren’t dead yet apparently.

Hello suzzer,

A well-funded startup in San Francisco is hiring for one of their 1st engineering hires/a founding engineer to join their growing team. The Co-Founders (engineers and Ex-Google/Facebook) have built an application that grew from 5 to 70 clients in the last year. It’s poised to disrupt the insurtech space in the same way Plaid did to digital finance and banking after the financial crisis. Brief details below:

Tech = TypeScript, Node/Go, AWS, Puppeteer and more (not all required)

Comp = $160,000 - $180,000 base + significant equity and benefits

Location = downtown SF in the Financial District

This is a great chance to work on a small team of talented engineers to scale something special. They’ve built an infrastructure layer for the P&C industry that’s enabling digitization for traditional insurance players and insurtech alike.

1 Like

Rainbow text

Disrupt the insurtech space

1 Like

Ex-Google/Facebook! Only speak to them if they ask you a direct question. No eye contact in the hallways.

And all the joy and optimism that downtown San Francisco has to offer these days. Everyone in SF loves techies! What do you do? Oh I’m just disrupting the insurtech space, can we have sex now?

My boss is all in on AI now. Which means at least I don’t have to hear about microservices anymore.

is microservices a lecturable topic?

It’s a “we need X so I can put it in Powerpoints to non-technical upper management” topic

Inevitably, I picked up an Apple Vision yesterday, if you’re interested in it you can check out the ama over here: Ask me about the Apple Vision - Other Topics - Slow Pony Express

1 Like

Lost our Jira license today. We were told we could still see old tickets but not create new ones. But apparently that’s not the case. Our finance dept is still negotiating with them. Jira is the new Oracle apparently.

Hightech snow day!

Ain’t no faking, that money they’re taking
Locking up your host with no tickets in the making
Thought you’d do your job working nine to five
Who’s agile now, bitch? Atlassian needs their bribe

NO
WORK
TIL WEDNESDAY

1 Like

Hey programming folks.

Old man rugby has moved into the care home and I’m trying to clear out his stuff.

One of the things is a big collection of computer books from early internet era. Eg. 1995 to 2005.

The HTML book is 1996 and talks about Netscape 2.0 being a big deal.

Do you think there would be any interest in these? Or should I recycle them.

Every old programmer like me has a stack of those. I not only have an XSLT book as thick as that Linux book, I have an XSL book that’s just as thick.

MIchael Kay has seen some things, man.

I doubt there’s much interest. Although I could use the learning the vi editor book. Every now and then I have to work with that thing and I hate it.

Everything else would be so out of date it would be like learning to work on a car from the 1950s and trying to apply it to now. You’d get a good basic understanding of engines, carburetors, etc. But you’d be completely lost on modern cars.

If you want the book. I’m happy to post it to you. My dad would get a kick out of that

Those books are in every library book sale for $2 a piece. Silly to ship them.

Sorry about your dad.

Sorry for your loss. It is conceivable there is a computer club somewhere that might want those books but that’s doubtful. Be glad it’s only that many. I’ve purged bigger stacks of books when I deceived I’d never learn Windows programming or when I got rid of all my Perl books.