Programming

I started using PyCharm (a Python IDE) tonight. It’s pretty cool. Vim keybindings was one of the options right off the bat! I’ve never really used an IDE. I tried Atom for a while, but it was ridiculously slow.

1 Like

you use vim? nice. I used to hate it and now I cannot use anything else.

I’ve always used vi/vim and have tried to do some things to make it work more like an IDE, but it’s probably smarter to get an IDE to work more like vim.

Vim is awesome even if you’re not great at it. Using the mouse a lot sucks. Alt and arrow key navigation isn’t much better.

Lol, I use arrow keys because I find the h/j/k/l bindings awkward. It doesn’t really slow me down that much because I make liberal use of word/code block jumps.

The one thing I hate about vanilla vim is you don’t get the auto-complete of library functions like you do in say, eclipse. In eclipse I can hit tab or whatever and it brings up all the possible methods I can call and you can click through their documentation. So IDE + vim is probably the best setup IMO, but I find most IDE’s to be a huge pain in the ass to set up. I am better at compiling and organizing projects by hand than I am using the IDE tools.

Yeah, you have to add auto-completion you want to vi, but that is the unix way to do things.

Why the fuck does everyone, including director level people, have stupid ass goofy Slack avatars? Its a fortune 500 company, not a lemonade stand. :expressionless:

Mine is the project manager from office space. The “jump to conclusions” guy. It was a big hit.

Ok boomer. I bet you don’t even wear sneakers to job interviews.

1 Like

I am wearing a hoodie and jeans right now on the 22nd floor so I have that going for me. AKA employed programmer wardrobe. + haven’t shaved in ~5 days.

When I had an office job programming there was a guy like that on the team. He had a good reputation outside of the team and with non-programmers, I think just because he carried a Java book around all the time. He’s a scrum master now, lives in Marin and probably makes a shitload.

My area is pretty competitive

JS is unbelievably ugly

Can’t you just do

return this.idcAdditionalInfoModals[deliveryType] && this.idcAdditionalInfoModals[deliveryType].openModal;

I’m super confused. What type is this.idcAdditionalInfoModals and what type is deliveryType?

But shouldn’t Object.keys() just always return strings? What type is deliveryType?

Ok, but still can you just do this and skip the matchingKey stuff?

this.idcAdditionalInfoModals[deliveryType as keyof IdcAdditionalInfoModals]

I’d really like some typescript champion to come on and defend how this is supposed to make anyone’s life easier. I feel like there must be something fundamentally missing. It can’t be that hard to dynamically access an object’s property by name at run time.

Then again - I guess it’s not super easy to do that in Java. Have to use reflection or create a special method. I am so spoiled with JS.

Maybe you should post on the other forum. Seems like none of the typescript boosters made it over here.

Does the error you posted happen at compile time or run time?

I’m not entirely sure this is what you are seeing, but you may want the "suppressImplicitAnyIndexErrors": true in your tsconfig.json

Although see also: Don’t give up and use suppressImplicitAnyIndexErrors | by Andy Chou | Medium

I think I mentioned adding a declaration for Object.keys before. But we use the above setting.