Programming

The trick is to not care so much. Seriously lol. Some things are just beyond your control. You can get frustrated by it or try to go with it.

I’m probably gonna be screeching about it in a few months though

1 Like

Any suggestions for cool ish I can do with a Raspberry Pi CM4? I have an external NVMe drive housing with a 256gb drive ready to go. Its a 8gb ram with like a 128gb internal drive.

Yea it’s really easy to set up in gcp. You basically just put in your code and go.

As with most things gcp vs aws, aws will be much harder to set up (you need to configure gateways and stuff) but ultimately provides you more choice and flexibility. For instance I believe aws lambda offers more programming languages.

If it’s a very simple service (sounds like it is) you want a cloud function, app engine is for more complicated services/applications and might be overkill.

Tbh though I’ve not played much with any of these services.

1 Like

We use GCP at work. My ML Plats team is nice and set it up for us, fairly impressed so far

1 Like

Cloud Functions is what you think. Also look at cloud run. It will scale containers from 0-infinity. You pay when your RPC is running. Avoid app engine.

1 Like

This might get buried in the LC thread. But I thought programmers specifically might be interested in this, specifically how he claims maximizing flow state is one of the primary forms of happiness.

Here’s my LC post about how being a computer programer apparently makes me happy because of the flow state.

I’ve been thinking about this video a lot since I watched it.

Counterpoint: I find it very easy to slip into flow when writing code, but coding makes me absolutely miserable. For example, I want to murder puppies right now because MouseEvent.movementX/Y is behaving very differently in Chrome vs Firefox and I have no idea why. But the past couple hours sure did fly by while I failed to figure it out.

1 Like

I feel that way with CSS. But everything else I get to flow state pretty easily.

mouseMove (e) {
  moveThing(e.movementX)
}

Firefox: :+1:
Chrome: :crazy_face:

mouseMove (e) {
  const newX = e.offsetX - this.currentX
  moveThing(newX)
}

Firefox: :+1:
Chrome: :+1:

Flow!

Most of the time i spend “programming” is reading hundreds and thousands of lines of configurations which honestly is as boring as it sounds. I get a little giddy when a task requires some scripting or other work that requires a bit of programming.

This is why they invented jQuery.

I shouldn’t have to add jquery to a modern front end framework to get basic mouse events behaving consistently.

Well until about the last year most sites still had to support IE-11. Some still do.

And for pretty much the history of the internet before that there were 1000s of "I shouldn’t have to"s like the one you’re describing. Now that browser weirdness is almost a thing of the past, vanilla JS is a lot more fun and appealing.

Lol I just inherited some code and there’s a variable named FLAVOR_MASTER

I want that to be my title at this company!

Found another fun one - “updation.”

That should be a word. How is that not a word?

Eta: lol it is a word.

interesting talks over here for db nerds

+1

My latest task is to integrate/automate our russian servers into our existing infrastructure and utils. I finally got over the hurdles of learning aws, and now I’ve got this russian cloud provider mail.ru. The site won’t even let you log in in english.

Doubt I’m ever gonna complain about aws again, this is already horrible. I feel like I’m in waaaay over my head right now. I absolutely hate that feeling.

1 Like

Congrats on the Parler gig! :joy:

4 Likes

Thanks for the reassurance. This one is really scary though. This is the first task I’ve been given that’s destined to go to live production. There’s like, real deadlines and upper management watching and shit. I’ve been here a year and never deployed anything into prod (i’m just a junior and it takes a while to get standing in this company), much less this cluster of applications they want to deploy. Not only that - I’m doing it on this russian cloud provider so there will be some weirdness there too. Just feels like I’m being set up for failure.

The good thing is I’m mostly just deploying and tweaking code other people have written. The bad thing is I’m deploying code other people have written. LOL. Idk if that made sense but it does to me.

It’s gonna be killer on my resume even if i fail though I think. I’ve gotten so much cloud experience in the last few months. This architecture is quite complex and serves a global audience - that experience is pretty valuable I think.

1 Like