Presidential Debate Thread: Take 2 (Tonight at 9 PM Eastern)

"People connected with other prospective candidates say that Harris’ years of scrutiny, association with Biden and her own word-salad answers could be too much to let her get a free pass. Some are already gaming out Harris failing on the first ballot and jumping in then.

But that probably would mean multiple candidates rushing around the convention floor making all sorts of promises, going through multiple ballots, with a melee of clashing candidacies and other interests all on non-stop coverage.

Not to mention that it’s been decades since the last floor fight. The happy activists who tend to get picked as delegates don’t know how to cut backroom deals. They don’t even know the rules."

Small sample size here but seems accurate.

1 Like

The delegate who posts here is a proud non-activist

I am deeply skeptical of anyone who says all of this about Biden has been obvious for years and had a level of influence where they could have been working on a contingency plan and didn’t work on such a plan.

To the extent that it is possible to be amused by the descent of the world’s second most powerful country into fascism, I do find it a bit funny that Generic Dem smokes Trump and Republicans in polls but each individual Actual Dem loses. Voters are bascially telling eDems that if you take away their individual personalities then the voters would like them. But they are so unlikable that they choose Trump instead to run the country.

1 Like

yeah this was the primary reason, the 2ndary reason is he was considered too old to run for president, they didn’t want someone with ambition that would interfere with their administration

It’s mostly name recognition. Most of the generic Dems that are polling at Biden levels now will be doing much better once they are well known.

1 Like

Yes, that’s my point exactly?

Some of it is simply that no real person can compete with a theorectically flawless “generic” candidate. Some of it is that many eDems are kind of shitty, insincere cowards and it shows.

1 Like

The attacks from the Republican fake news machine will probably erase any such increase.

This is all academic for now, I don’t see a plausible path to getting him off the ballot. The people around him all want him to keep going, he thinks he’s overcome the odds a million times before, no elected Dems will come out and say he should quit, certainly not in unison. He has to like die or have a stroke or something.

Because they did so well in the same primary as biden.

You want it to be one way. People fucking hate these ghouls. It’s like you think they’re wearing clothes because you like conservative policy.

They do worse than generic Dem because of the people who recognize their names. But you think people are like “I just want anyone but Trump. Anyone. Ok, so would I vote for this person I’m not familiar with? No, I need to be familiar with them, despite wanting any generic warm breathing body.”

I would vote for anyone over Hitler.

Ok, what about Gavin Newsome.

No, I would vote Hitler because I haven’t heard of this “Cabin Newcomb”

1 Like

Will Hitler cut my taxes?

4 Likes

Where’s the polling data on replacing Biden with Sanders?

He is older than Biden!

That’s what would it make it funny to see!

1 Like

Vogue apparently released this cover preview today

I think the real question raised by this whole situation is who has the necessary combination of wisdom and ambition to legally change their name to Generic Democrat before the convention?

12 Likes

No, I’m saying that you’re misinterpreting the polling results, because 80% of respondents have never heard Whitmer’s name in their life before.

Matt Damon would win all 50 states.

3 Likes

But the 20% who have, do not like her