Presidential Debate Thread: Take 2 (Tonight at 9 PM Eastern)

Donald Trump for sure.

There are several ways for John Doe to go here. The SoS would probably try to make him go the write-in route, and leave Joe Biden on the ballot, because that is an established process that wouldn’t require legal action.

The party could try to get our legislature to pass an emergency bill to allow it, that might be tough, but we have a supermajority, so not out of the realm of possibility.

Then there’s the lawsuit route, that would be tough because the party wouldn’t want to burn the bridges by suing the SoS, but it might work.

All of these things would be MUCH easier to argue, honestly, if Biden died rather than voluntarily dropped out.

Now ask someone about Wisconsin or North Carolina or Georgia.

1 Like

What is the relevant statute in California that would dictate that someone that did not win the Democratic nomination would appear on the general election ballot as the Democratic nominee?

All that being said, even if we got John Doe on the ballot in all 50 states by some magic wand thing,

can you also magic 2-years worth of fundraising and messaging and voter outreach and infrastructure building into 4 months? Please tell me how, it would make my job so much easier.

Let me google that for you.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codesTOCSelected.xhtml?tocCode=ELEC&tocTitle=+Elections+Code+-+ELEC

Oh, you’re a baseball fan? Tell me who won the world series in 1964, who was the MVP, and name the starting pitchers of each game! Oh you can’t? HA! you’re not a real fan!

1 Like

Pick a state that would be interesting to discuss.

https://ballotpedia.org/State_laws_and_party_rules_on_replacing_a_presidential_nominee,_2024

Thanks. Here’s the relevant statute for California.

" On or before the 75th day before an election when electors for the President and Vice President of the United States will be chosen, each political party qualified to participate in the election shall notify the Secretary of State of the names of that party’s nominees for the offices of President and Vice President of the United States. If a qualified political party has not held its national convention by the 75th day before the election, the party shall notify the Secretary of State of the names of the party’s apparent nominees for the offices of President and Vice President of the United States."

75 days before election day being August 22nd.

If we only knew how parties decided their nominee for president…

2 Likes

Even though the convention hasn’t happened yet and there is no Democratic nominee at this point, the ballots are all locked up?

1 Like

As I mentioned, Georgia would be an interesting one to discuss.

July 9th.

I think that’s pretty important state for the election.

California also has rules that if you file and are accepted as a candidate you can’t remove your name from the ballot, even if you drop out. Not sure how that would affect the outcomes, either.

So for all the people who refuse to listen to someone who actually knows anything:

who would you want the DNC to choose? And would you vow to not be pissed off at the DNC if they chose someone you didn’t vote for on this list?

Poll is anonymous, so vote your heart!

• Kamala Harris
  • Big Gretch
  • Secretary Mayor Pete
  • Gavin Newsom
  • Raphael Warnock
  • AOC
  • JB Pritzker
  • Someone else
0 voters

*no octogenarians allowed, sorry

I can’t believe the New York Times editorial board didn’t talk to anyone of your stature before calling on Biden to quit.

1 Like

I can’t believe the New York Times editorial board didn’t call on Trump to quit after he was convicted :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Got to admit, President Mayor Pete has a ring to it

3 Likes

Man I respect anyone willing to actually get involved in actual campaigns but just LOL defending eDems and what’s happened with Biden here.

9 Likes

https://x.com/ppollingnumbers/status/1806835998036250886?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ

They know Trump won’t listen but they think Biden might.

https://x.com/DougJBalloon/status/1806864719417889118?t=KNPo8nXAf96SWMYVtbDSsg&s=19

15 Likes

For what it’s worth, the next Presidential debate is set for Tuesday, Sept. 10, with ABC News producing. Trump could duck out, but not sure why he would do that.

July 9th does not apply to candidates nominated by convention. Here’s the relevant part of the below notice:

The completed Presidential Elector Nomination Affidavit, along with the names of the candidates for President and Vice President nominated by the political party or political body, must be submitted to the Secretary of State no later than August 23, 2024 to be considered for the 2024 General Election ballot. The affidavit and supporting documentation will be reviewed by the Secretary of State and approved if the political party or political body has satisfied all applicable legal requirements

Notice regarding ballot access (Pdf)

Trumper at my poker table asked if I saw the debate and wanted to talk about it. He brought up sex trafficking and I told him that inflation has led to an massive increase in the price of hookers and we actually need more sex trafficking. He told me he didn’t want to talk about it.

That is how you shut MAGA dudes up.

6 Likes