Poll to make SensiblePerson an Admin (SP has withdrawn)

Having a server that never gets updated seems less than great.

Last year I somewhat jokingly suggested having both a reboot and Discourse app rebuild scheduled as weekly cron jobs. This could literally be done, and would keep everything current and running for probably years.

1 Like

I’m not intentionally not including @vict0ar. I just remembered grue saying he’d help in the other thread. I think vic did as well and that’s what you’re referring to, but I did not recall that until now. If he wants to run the server I’m overjoyed at someone other than me doing it.

1 Like

No matter what is done, somebody needs to own the DO Team account under their real name.

It may. Like I said, I know even less about this than I do about javascript

@spidercrab currently does and I don’t think he’s backing out (in case spider is reading this, I have issues a correction down thread that jmakin is owner and spider is just the biller)

Is that a recent change? When I left it was in jmakin’s name.

oh, maybe it’s in jmakin’s name. I don’t even know how to tell. I just recall seeing spiders real name attached to the account but maybe not as owner or whatever.

We have full forum backups already happening automatically every week and it’s cheaper than snapshots.

I literally have no idea how to navigate DO. Sometimes I come across a page that shows jmakin, spider and I are all on the account. Right now I can’t even find that. I don’t like clicking around too much because I’ll come across a menu option like Destroy that I don’t want to misclick.

Found it! jmakin (no real name) is the owner. spider (real name) is the biller.

I know you can’t see his name, but I’d be very surprised if it’s not on his account somewhere. Can’t imagine DO lets people lease servers anonymously.

Cool but you get one for free.

Cron jobs to automatically restart and update is a great idea. This shit’s pretty indestructible ggoreo. I can do an ungraceful shutdown and restart and it just comes back on its own. It’s built for non technical people to deploy and maintain. The launcher script literally does everything for you.

It’s simply like ./launcher rebuild app, and the whole thing rebuilds itself and redeploys.

nah, I double checked because I didn’t remember ever doing that, and for “name” it just has my email address.

Ahh, I hadn’t seen that before. Here’s where we stand in terms of people who have access:

It appears I’m the only one with my real name attached.

I think this gives me admin rights, but I have no idea how to actually do anything.

@jmakin is there any reason someone who is doing the server stuff needs to be owner, or are you able to make spider the owner of the DO account, if he is okay with that?

I don’t know the answer to that - it’ll probably make things more of a pain in the ass later, but if you really are that worried and it makes you feel better, sure

I am not concerned when ownership gets transferred over to someone else.

You are not the admin, jmakin is (but as the only person with their name on it and the one who pays the bills, you’re probably the person with liability exposure).

I’m genuinely shocked that he was able to own the DO Team without using his real name.

None of this really matters, though. If the solution is to have an unmaintained server rather than creating a community that can retain an administrator, we might as well just shut it down. It’s not like this place lasts much longer in its current state.

Thanks for the illuminating post. Please do what is best for you. Accepting the admin position is not worth having a terrible forum experience.

I have confidence that we will find another admin solution (another volunteer, a team-sharing arrangement, etc.).