Poker Hands and Strategy

Sorry. Yes.

What is the rake?

5+1

You need a big edge to overcome that rake HU, especially OOP, I’d rather chop if that is an option, but if not, fold your trash hands vs a competent player.

Not HU. Five limpers to me in the SB.

Oh. Yeah you are a nit, but the profitability of the bottom end is gonna be marginal and depends on how bad the limpers are postflop. I usually flick in the chips.

Not too nitty. Fold your trash and raise fairly wide and on the larger size especially if you’re playing no flop no drop. I love it when they cooperate and fold and abandon the play when it’s not there. One of my last live games had a habitual bomber to my left and the guy to my right was having none of it and 3-betting him almost every time. I wasn’t able to exploit it, but flopped a boat versus the guy to my right’s trips and hit quads on the river and snap called his jam. He was up a bit and racking up and just had to play one last hand.

There is too much emphasis on preflop play in small stakes games itt. That is the easiest part of the NL and not where the edge comes from. The ocean of bad players make all their big errors when the pots get much larger after the flop. Sure you will be profitable with abc poker but you will be leaving so much money on the table at these stakes.

You need to be comfortable putting yourself is tricky spots sometimes when you have a huge overall edge as you know your opponents will make huge errors.

Literal GTO play will be suboptimal at these stakes as the players are a teaming sea of tells and exploitable play.

One idea I’ve had is that being nitty in marginal preflop spots earns me an image of being tighter than I am, which I can exploit on later streets when the pot is bigger. I’m not one to try to cultivate a LAG image.

I am really comfortable putting myself into multi-way spots that others find tricky. I pretty much never iso-raise. It works for me, but it causes good players to underestimate me at times.

:pensive:

Unless your player pool is above average at 1/2 and 2/5 stakes they are barely, if at all, paying attention to your image, in my experience.

I play tight enough that people make comments at the table about how tight I am playing. I make a lot of conspicuous folds OTB or in the SB in limped pots. Sometimes, I bring it to their attention and point out how tight I am.

My main game has been PLO and people notice when I play my usual style that might have a sub-20% VPIP.

I doubt it. Hands like 72o suffer a lot from being multiway. People forget that the pot odds you’re getting in those spots come with a big reduction in equity, so it’s not really better odds, similar to how picking a number on the roulette wheel isn’t better than picking a color. Plus you said the BB can raise without JJ+ (and indeed he has an incentive to with so many limpers), so I’m definitely having a folding range too if I’m you.

Anyone able to play on Ignition or Bovada? I haven’t played for about a week and tried logging in and the fucking Captcha told me to get rid of all the cars and it took like 30 clicks. Got in and none of the account buttons are active, no balance, and my tournament ticket is gone. Tried to jump into a PLO game and it hung on 59% for a few seconds and I said fuck it. Glad I barely put any $$$ on there.

Update-seems to be back to normal and I’m sure they would have insisted the problem was on my end event though people on 2+2 are reporting the exact same issue, lol. I guess they ceased operations in Asia. Seems bad.

I don’t get how people play online tournaments day after day I give up outside of casual play after the week probably this is really stupid.

had that same issue the other day, it’s also pretty laggy, you’ll time out on occasion for no reason so don’t do that thing some pros do where people put 90% of their stack in but not all of it.

it hung like that at x% or whatever for me, eventually it’ll work but you have to open and close it several times.

At low limit live NLHE I am definitely on the tighter side of TAG, but I think this is frequently the correct way to play at low limits.

Many low limit players do notice image IME but they rarely adjust at all for it.

I had one guy that was a grinder in the 2/5 game i played a lot that was actually pretty good at reading physical tells. He made a few soul-read calls on me that surprised me a lot. His stare downs also made me really uncomfortable so every time we were in a pot I just started looking down at my phone until it was my turn to act. Now I do this everywhere, it works pretty well. You look disinterested in the game and people never know what to make of it, if they’re paying attention. If they’re not paying attention, then at least the time’s going by faster because you’re on your phone.

I need help with some hand ranges when in a short handed HORSE tourney.

I have won or got second in a few small STT HORSE tourneys lately, but have struggled when 3 handed or heads up in certain rounds.

I’m a great razz and LHE player, but what is your range of hands you’re looking to play in omaha H/L (need this one the most), and stud H/L? In general, and also heads up. Just pretend it’s a cash game if that makes it easier.

At full ring, I get kind of nitty and you should be tighter in tournaments than cash games. That works for the $400 live tournaments that I generally don’t play bigger than, but needs adjustment vs stronger fields.

With H/L games, you are looking to scoop. In stud h/l, I avoid playing razzy lows with bad prospects for high and high-only hands if I don’t have an ace showing on third. It is horrible to be drawing to the second-best low with no high and you should know how to get out on third so you don’t get sucked into chasing.

As the table shortens, it becomes more important to play the strength of your board.

In O8, my range is mostly A2xx and AAxx if the pot is unlikely to be heads-up. There are hands I will iso-raise with if I can get it heads up, but fold if it looks like the pot will be multi-way. The ace is a key card and most players overestimate how many ace-less playable hands there are. If it is your worst game in a mix, I’d tell you to tighten up (especially in early position), play passive preflop, and nut peddle while you have a full table. As the game gets short-handed and most pots are contested heads-up, you can put on more action with hands that have a shot at high with decent low prospects.

Once you get towards the end in both games, you can scoop with weaker hands both ways so your range widens. How much depends on your opponent.

I think that is enough to start out with.

Thanks. I really struggled in O8 because I just had a run of trash but the blinds were becoming such that I couldn’t afford to just fold everything and my opponent was playing extremely aggressive. I didnt have any idea what hands would be good at showdown in O8 HU.

Stud, HU yea it’s easier because you have a board showing and can play off that. It is a lot more obvious when you have a stronger hand than your opponent.

One thing my opponent was doing though that really was hard for me to deal with was he was raising all his bring ins. Leaving me no real option but to fold most of the time. I guess I could have played back at it more.