Poker Hands and Strategy

Uncapped buyins in Calgary? Here in Edmonton the 1/3 is capped at $1k. For whatever reason, the games here have been really good too. Either that or I’m in the middle of a sun run without knowing it. I really should have been out playing last night instead of watching the hustler stream.

1 Like

It’s match the stack at Deerfoot.

Playing in a private 2/5 PLO game. Four-handed, late at night.

My 3 opponents are VPIPing 75+%. No light three-betting. Only one player straddles. A 3bet to iso has less than a 25% chance of getting it heads-up. Everyone is 300+bb deep.

What percentage of flops should I be seeing?

it’s 50/50. you either win or you don’t.

Bout 35.0%

Playing in a private game with 2/5 rather than 5/5, I now have to consider my folding range in the SB in limped pots.

2 Likes

Line check. 2/5/10 NL, 3k+ effective

Hero raises AKo in mid position to 50, fish calls, bb makes it 200. BB is a crusher, best player in the game, no fear making big moves deep stacked. I decide to just flat, fish also calls. Flop A 2h 3h. Checked to me, I bet 275. Fish folds bb calls. Turn offsuit 5. Check check. River Qo. Check. Hero?

I make it 600 preflop, if we lose the fish, we lose him. As played, I def bet the turn, both for value and for river pot control if we choose. As played I guess we have to bet river for value, but I have no idea what to do if raised. BB seems like he could raise with nothing, so we might have to call?

1 Like

Definitely need to be playing the standard 18/16/3.

Agree but I think river is a likely bet fold if raised. River bet fold is used way too infrequently in Holdem imo.

My room has a promotion where every hour they pick one cash game player to spin the big wheel of money. You get what you spin. Max is £2500. It drive the recs absolutely wild all they ever talk about is the spin the spin when is the next spin happening zomg we could get the 2.5 you know etc. Now there are usually like 50 people playing cash any of whom could be picked and the wheel has so many spokes and lots of zeros so the natural ev of 1 spin is something like £100 if that so each draw your ev is like £2. Anyway last night I got picked and…

One damn spoke away. Such a bad beat.

5 Likes

lol, stupid promotions like that will get bad players spending thousands of dollars to hit one time. smart, but these kind of promotions drive me nuts

VS 95% of regs my line is bet/fold river. If villian is a perceptive hotshot, he probably knows that our standard line is bet/fold. Really dependent on how sharp I think villain is. The smarter he is, the more likely I am to call.

1 Like

I bet 600 on the river and got raised to 2400 :sob:

Ok, but the real question: Did you call, and how long did you think about it?

Edit: The reason that I’m pushing for a call is that we checked behind the turn. Our hand is under-repped, but even more importantly villain has every reason to believe we check behind on the river. If he had a value hand he almost certainly bets. Really smells like a bluff vs someone that he thinks will fold our exact hand. Especially when the best bluff card in the deck (from his point of view) falls on the river.

I won’t say just yet to see if anyone has anyone else has opinions on the hand, but I did go into the tank and I almost never tank

Why would he make it 2400 with AA or QQ instead of jam. Less to price in a crying call or more for max cooler value. Scary size that doesn’t accomplish either goal. Fuck him.

Id call but I’m a big betsize oracle.

Oh I worded that poorly, it was a jam to like 2420, so I guess it was only 2900 effective to start, it was not a sober table, but villain wasn’t drinking if that changes anything

That last hand raises a point about AK, and specifically my thoughts on it. For me, everything in poker is situational. How I react in any instance takes into consideration the entirety of data that I have at the moment. I have no “general rules”. Except with AK. Preflop with AK I will not get to the flop without having been the final aggressor preflop. Raising most of the time, very occasionally folding, never calling. In position or out.

A lot of people like the “Call and see a flop in position” line and… maybe, but I just can’t see how the infinite agression preflop line can be a mistake. In my mind, calling pre takes away all of the pressure AK can apply, and makes it only slightly better than KQ. It makes all of the OMC guys right, “It’s just a drawing hand.”, and anything that makes them right has to be wrong imo.

Thoughts?