Poker Hands and Strategy

https://twitter.com/PokerGO/status/1456692813274386440

That moron open shoved 3x pot there. Apparently having a bracelet from 2002 doesnt mean you know how to play

Why didn’t you bet the turn?

yea Bruce are you always just taking what they say as the truth?

1 Like

Like maybe he has 22, which is whatever.

so did you completely misplay this hand or was it a perfect bluff with top two pair against two people?

i agree but like what is there to discuss? is NBZ asking for advice/criticism here? he just posted this hand without any comment. is it proof of something? he didn’t even comment about his own thoughts here or anything

it just feels like a bbv post (not sure which one, i got my pick tho)

That exact question is literally the only relevant thing to discuss in that hand.

I’m about to head to the gym and won’t be around for a bit but just dropping in here to ask not to turn this into a shitshow. Criticism is fine - attacks are not.

2 Likes

I thought that checking makes me the most money from worst two pair hands. If I bet they fold. If I check, they sometimes bet for me and if it checks through I am more likely to get value on a blank river. I bet in late position. I didn’t think there was a good bet size for leading the turn.

People bet made hands too often in multiway pots where a flush draw is possible.

Because he’s been honest about such things in the past and probably would have shown me if he didn’t have a player behind.

Why would a player want someone to know they folded a set in this spot.

It was an attempted thin value bet that turned out to be a bluff.

so what can you learn from this to improve your game? you clearly misplayed the river in the most extreme way possible (you were trying to get someone to call you with a worse hand only to fold a better one).

do you think it means you are not vbetting enough and therefore your opponents aren’t even contemplating calling you with big hands? will you vbet more often?

1 Like

It probably means I’m not finding enough spots to bluff into multiple opponents and I need to be more willing to bluff when logical hand reading strongly suggests my opponent has the second nuts.

Around half-pot was probably too large of a sizing for a value bet, even if it is a small absolute amount of around 100. Maybe I should have bet third or quarter pot to get called by a worse two pair.

Just because you are closer to the bottom of your value betting range and if you believe villain, was near the top of his range does not turn your thin value bet into a bluff.

This combo works better as a bluff catcher, but its just not worth thinking about how to bluff more in low stakes, 9 handed live PLO. You should be able to recognize the spots when they come up, but you should have like 10+ value bets for every bluff made in these type of games.

1 Like

I missed an obvious bluffing spot last night where a player made an obvious blocking bet with a set or two pair with something like quarter pot and another player just called and could have raised and repped the straight that came in on the river.

Way too many of my bluffs are based on sizing tells like that. You’re playing 1/2 and the guy who opens to $12 repeatedly makes it $7? That’s a low pair or SC and if you make it $35 it’s yours.

But it’s a reg who always bets like that with non-nut hands. I just have to figure out the probability of him making a tilt call despite being sure that he’s beat.

I felt like I spent too much time thinking about appropriate sizing so I couldn’t tell a convincing enough story with a raise.

My reg opponents seem more likely to bluff catch on a big bluff so I do run a few river bluffs that look like value bets that want to be called.

one of my biggest leaks is thinking ‘this is such an obvious bluff spot, they have air or the goods only, i can call nonsense here’ when facing a pot sized bet that’s always the goods.

I don’t think I attempt a naked ace bluff in PLO as often as I should when the opportunity presents itself.