Podcast Thread

the amazing part was that warren became that much MORE liberal when confirmed. his track record was awful. makes me think about rbg, sotomayor, gorsuch in context.

2 Likes

been trying to clear the backlog of 700+ episodes of various stuff on my phone (I’m below 600 now), anyway, two episodes of rationally speaking from last year that seemed really good for understanding some of the failures of the (big D) Democratic establishment and librulz in general that we constantly talk about here:

http://rationallyspeakingpodcast.org/episode-247-the-moral-limits-of-markets-the-problem-with-meritocracy-michael-sandel/

http://rationallyspeakingpodcast.org/246-deaths-of-despair-effective-altruism-angus-deaton/

this second one is a mindblowing illustration of the problem of appeal to authority, this dude has a Nobel in economics and the first half is a very interesting discussion of his extremely narrow field of expertise and even in that narrow field he’s very knowledgable about outcomes and effects etc but when they discus causes it sort of seems like he’s just making shit up. Then the 2nd half of the discussion just goes completely off the rails when they start talking about effective altruism and the dude just completely inexplicably starts shitting on randomized controlled trials and other things because “well what if the next trial you run is different than the last 1000 that all produced the same result? clearly you can’t trust this at all” and it’s just jaw-dropping. Dude is literally a complete fucking moron.

1 Like

Listened to the Thursday Chapo and they perfectly replicated my mother’s belief that it’s super dangerous in NYC because reasons and then mocked it.

My mother lives in a super-white neighborhood and yet is afraid of rising crime rates. Apparently, so many people have been pushed in front of trains that she insisted on driving me to Midtown. No complaints I suppose but damn how can any deplorable claim to not be scared when they live thinking that every non-white person is out to get them.

Has anyone listened to this? I used to listen to (and enjoy) The Sporkful, and this sounds pretty interesting. But I’m hesitant to jump in to yet another subscription. (From a list of top podcasts)

39. The Sporkful’s Mission: Impastable

This feel-good series kicks off with a brazen declaration from host Dan Pashman: Spaghetti sucks. It doesn’t score well on his three-point pasta matrix: fork-ability (how easy it is to fork), sauce-ability (how much sauce it can hold), and tooth-sink-ability (how satisfying it is to chew). After tasting all the pasta shapes he can find, he decides that he’s not happy enough with any of them—so he sets out to invent something new. The experts he speaks with tell him that he shouldn’t proceed: Creating an original shape will cost too much, and no pasta brand wants to try selling an unfamiliar product. Only one person in the country makes pasta molds. These obstacles only add to the fun, because Pashman goes for it anyway. The exercise lasts for three years, puts pressure on his marriage and bank account, and runs into supply-chain issues. But for the listener, the show is full of surprise and delight.

this guy sounds like an idiot

5 Likes

Maybe, but I think he’s absolutely right about these three criteria:

It doesn’t score well on his three-point pasta matrix: fork-ability (how easy it is to fork), sauce-ability (how much sauce it can hold), and tooth-sink-ability (how satisfying it is to chew).

That’s the part that made me think he’s a fucking idiot! I don’t know what “how easy it is to fork” means, is he trying to stab his spaghetti??? A four year old can figure out how to twirl a fork.

1 Like

All pastas are good pastas.

1 Like

Also spaghetti does hold sauce if you prepare it properly. You need to finish cooking the spaghetti in the sauce if its a very loose sauce.

1 Like

This is true, but it is also a source of enormous friction in our household because two of our children don’t like sauce on their spaghetti, so we always just dump the sauce on for the remaining people after it’s fully cooked. Just one of the million trivial irritations in my life that, in aggregate, drive me absolutely mad.

What’s his issue with fusilli or rigatoni. Both hold sauce very well, are toothsome, and can be eaten with no problem even if they have the podcaster’s toddler-level forking skills.

And I’m sorry but the shape of this pasta looks revolting. It looks like a bowl full of entrails.

1 Like

I think he misspelled fuck. You ever try to get down with a box of Spaghetti?

Its not easy

1 Like

I don’t agree with his “all pastas are bad” take. I’m partial to pappardelle and cavatappi. But I like where his head is at with this cascatelli thing.

It’s very difficult for me to believe that the Italians haven’t developed enough essential pasta shapes by now.

2 Likes

This seems like a pasta-oriented corollary to the efficient markets hypothesis. “If there were actually a superior pasta to be made, the Italians would have done it already.”

2 Likes

This is a classic “solution that doesn’t have a problem”. Italy has got pastas figured out buddy.

I mean children ruin everything about everything.

1 Like

Listening to The Bucatini Dialogues: A Debate About Pasta Shapes and the Asian guy nails the whole problem with the idea of The Ideal Pasta Shape at 14:28. The main dude strikes me as insufferable and trying to make this whole thing happen. Which is fine I guess.

edit: ahahahahaha then the main guy gets totally owned when he’s all like why would you ever have unridged penne a few minutes later.

I haven’t listened to it, but I heard him on The Distraction podcast (with Drew Magary and David Roth) a while back, and he talked a lot about this project.

I want to know which shapes he thinks hit two out of three.