Podcast Thread

For those interested in an intelligent critique of nudging this is great. It features Maria Konnikova so also has a nice discussion of poker as a way to teach statistical thinking.

“Kabuki Theater” reference 18 minutes in. Boooooooo

Not exactly sure what exactly one is supposed to get out of this podcast episode. The poker stuff is good but has nothing to do with “nudges” and nothing new to anyone here I’m guessing.

The hosts don’t seem to address anything discussed itt or on IBCK, which is fine as that wasn’t the point of the episode. The critique they discuss, at least as I understood it, is that personal behavior “nudges” have limited returns in that people will sort of bank a good decision to excuse future lazy decisions, including decisions regarding public policy (that largely lost me).

I don’t really get the concept of being “pro-nudge”. I doubt anyone here objects to using choice architecture to improve outcomes. The objections come from the concern that a fascination with “nudges” makes it easier for the government to avoid committing resources to issues that require them and that the term’s popularity in policy circles could be exploited to push policies that don’t fit the stated definition.

I think this is accurate and not limited to governments. Employers also have lots of stuff that they should do for employees that costs money, but they try to wish their way out of the cost by asking management to employ nudges to achieve the desired outcome for free.

At my job we clock out at 5 but are allowed to go to the on-campus gym at 4:30. Is this a nudge? I don’t deny that I go to the gym more often than I would if I could just leave at 4:30 but it feels disrespectful to my and my colleagues time to concede we can be 100% done working but not allowed to leave.

1 Like

It’s generally in the interest of employers if their employees live healthier lives. A person who works out 30 minutes per day probably saves their company more money than a person who works the 30 minutes. Productivity and health care costs are a complex system.

Yeah, I get that.

I teach at a high school and have roughly 18 hours of office time Monday through Wednesday. So the last half hour of the day isn’t productive beyond simply being available for students if they need something, which being at the gym negates.

Lol

Shocked to find zero posts on the In The Dark pod itt.

Five bags.

I’ve never heard of it but will give a listen, need a new one

1 Like

I’m sure no one listens to The Dana Gould Hour and it’s certainly not for everyone, but I’ve been listening for years. One of his interviews on last month’s pod (he only releases one a month if that) was with a guy that wrote a book on actor Lawrence Tierney. I highly recommend it. I plan on buying the book but will need to listen again to get the name or at least the author’s name, neither of which are listen in the episode notes for some reason.

Apparently, Tierney was an irl lunatic, and big time drunk who was arrested like over a hundred times basically for getting drunk and fighting in bars around LA, from before he played Dillinger throughout his lifetime. He tells the story of how he and Tarantino fist fought during the making of Reservoir Dogs, him getting arrested during that for getting drunk and shooting a gun that went through the wall to the neighbors apartment, all kinds of crazy shit. He was never brought back to Seinfeld because he got caught trying to steal a knife off the set. Dude was nuts. Guy had a ton of crazy stories. eta the episode title is "fightin’ & fookin’ S12 E3

2 Likes

This sounds great - just put it on my list. Sounds like it’s Burt Kearns, and the book is:
Lawrence Tierney: Hollywood’s Real-Life Tough Guy

2 Likes

yup that’s the guy

1 Like

Tierney was basically America’s Lenny McLean

A psycho who loved bar fights and was given legitimacy through an acting career.

1 Like

Apparently his career would have been much bigger but for his drinking and general psychosis.

1 Like