Podcast Thread

lol there will be no bipartisan court reform unless the democrats start packing the fuck out of the court. otherwise the GOP play is to act like they’re interested and just get the process mired in the mud forever.

the ONLY way to fix stuff is to start massively overpacking the courts, admit tons of new states, etc, and force the GOP to agree to some constitutional reforms (get rid of the electoral college or massively overhaul it, weaken the senate, 18 year terms for SCOTUS and other federal judges, etc). There is NO way the GOP agrees to anything unless the democrats make the alternative much, much worse for them.

3 Likes

Matt’s analysis of state GOP legislators was bizarre. He somehow thinks they are less insane than the GOP Congress psychos? The opposite is true. They’re down for any amount of riggage.

4 Likes

I’m binging 5-4 at the recommendation of this thread and am really enjoying it so far. (Certainly more interesting than the work I should be doing right now.)

It’s a great explanation of why conservative judicial philosophy is bullshit but presented in a way that non-lawyer idiots like myself can understand. Thanks, all.

3 Likes

Hot off the presses, Ezra Klein interviews Nate Silver.

Pocket Casts

Nate Silver on why 2020 isn’t 2016 - The Ezra Klein Show

The Wizard of Odds on 2016’s mistakes, polling error, and Trump’s chances

x-post with potus bowl thread.

On a different note, I don’t care if Grayzone is doing the best reporting in the history of the world at the Assange trial, anyone going out of their way to promote Grayzone has aligned themselves with laughably absurd attempts to justify the actions of the PRC government in Xinjiang.

TrueAnon is dead to me.

Chapo released an older paid episode about how much Sorkin sucks and it’s great. Amber warning.

This looks quite good. Podcasts on eric weinstein, jordan peterson, etc.
https://decoding-the-gurus.captivate.fm/

2 Likes

Have you listened to any yet? Because you’re right, it does look good.

Listening to the latest one now and it’s pretty good. A bit niche in digging into the intellectual derangement of Eric Weinstein, but a solid takedown. Definitely going to listen to the Jordan Peterson episode.

It’s digging into the tropes used to support conspiracy theories.

Holy cow, the first episode on eric and brett weinstein is 3 hours. Can be found in your favorite podcast app (link on site).

3 Likes

Sweet. I’ll give it a go - as long as it’s not one of those where they feel the need to talk all over each other and try to be funny.

Alex Wagner was the guest on The Dave Chang Show to talk about the election. I enjoyed the discussion of how the people inside the Trump administration view themselves as the Rebel Alliance and not the Empire.

I’ll pretty much watch/listen to anything with Alex Wager. She’s smart, cute, and has a great personality. Not someone who jumps on bandwagons. Used to DVR her old MSNBC show.

Funny I was just listening to an interview on Fresh Air this afternoon with Sorkin, he’s got the new movie coming out on Netflix about the Chicago 7

5-4 did a special podcast yesterday. Re-living Bush V Gore.

Will update after I’ve listened to it

1 Like

Meh it’s like 20 mins on recent cases then a replays buah v gore

1 Like

Well, I hope you like listening to her use profanity and talk about self-medicating with weed to deal with the election.

wow, this “decoding the gurus” is pretty awesome but holy shit these dudes need to learn how to be concise, aint nobody got time to listen to nineteen hours on why eric weinstein is a fraud, just gimme the highlights

You would like Behind the Bastards way more.

1 Like

Matt Christman went off.

5 Likes

Since there’s a lot of focus on Atlanta right now, anyone interested in learning a bit about the city and the cultural forces that ultimately turned Georgia blue should check out this Freaknik podcast:

For those who don’t know, Freaknik was the HCBU spring break in the 80s and 90s that was held in Atlanta. An absolutely insane street party with no modern comparison in this country.

It’s a bit lower stakes than most political stuff, but ties a lot of things about Atlanta together: the start of the southern rap scene, strip clubs, gentrification, segregation, the airport, etc.

1 Like