Phil Galfond High Stakes Challenge

Phil’s playing a series of high stakes HU challenges over the next few months, generally €100/€200 PLO. Opponents include Bill Perkins, Jungleman, Brandon Adams and maybe Luke Schwartz, plus some guys that IDK because lol following poker these days.

Streaming live every day from 11am-3pm ET

2 Likes

I listened to a podcast recently where they discussed this. Galfond is laying 4 to 1 to a couple of people that have training sites and less to others. I guess it’s to show that he’s the only true PLO master.

Jungleman’s learned his lesson and is only going to play 7500 hands.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven’t watched poker in a billion years, but this could be fun during lunch at work or whatever.

Is HU PLO less solved than HU holdem?

Oh yeah, I remember that guy (although I had to look up his online handle, FullFlush1). He’s the “got the Jakies on” dude, right?

Yeah, here it is.

Brings back memories… How about that word association at the end?

Gloria: Durr?
Luke: Gay.

Really man?

1 Like

I accept the challenge. Who’s staking me? I am very good.

I’ve got 3.50 for you

3 Likes

Doesn’t the game tree explode for pot limit vs fixed limit?

I have never heard anything about PLOHU being solved (or anywhere near solved). Though PLO is not my game of choice.

Eta: I guess I should add that I have not read that FLOHU has been solved. Has it?

I play a lot of PLO. While I have very little HU experience, I dont think a solver matters too much. All a program like that will do is tell you how to best play your hand vs a range. But, by “playing your hand” it will just spit out % of the time you should bet pot vs half pot vs check etc.
While this is obviously useful, you have to play a ton of hands to realize the proper equity of playing “perfectly” vs a PLO range with so many hand combos.

You are undoubtedly making a good and valid point wrt PLO solvers.

My post exclusively pertained to solved (with a “d”) in response to a Suzzer post above. Solved and solver are two related but very different things.

Afaik it isnt, but I don’t keep up to date on that stuff well enough. The difference in skill of him playing Perkins, who I would be a big favorite over and some of the big plo pros is massive as well.

Brutal

Yeah, brutal. As SFB would say, jman28 is gold.

FYP

2 Likes

the other j guy is bonomo?

Jman28 is Phil G.

1 Like

So frequently it became a meme and he eventually changed his 2+2 screen name.

1 Like

I went with jbro so my good name was not sullied by you two characters!

1 Like

Downswings dont actually work like this. It’s what gives the fish hope that their bad play was just bad luck. Phil knows this.

It’s either that his opponent is just straight up owning him or that Phil isn’t aware of some new developed software that that has been timed to perfection.

2 Likes