Outing Posters' Previous User Names poll in Post 125

This is a picture of Barbara Streisand’s house in Malibu.

2 Likes

Everyone can have their theories, but the IP and email addresses are supposed to be private. No one should be able to use that to out them - not unless they agree to it. And that’s true whether a group of 3 or 5 or every single poster on this site thinks they should be outed.

I agree that IP addresses and emails should never be disclosed publicly.

I don’t agree that an admin who already has access to these can’t use either to confirm that a problem poster is one of a list of posters we don’t want back.

3 Likes

Saying that two IP addresses are the same isn’t the equivalent of revealing an IP address.

3 Likes

What is the harm in outing a previous username I get that we should under no circumstances out someone’s IRL information, but username seems fair game.

1 Like

The admins shouldn’t be able to use that information to out people. Banning, sure. It’s quite reasonable imo to say “I’m either banning or outing you, take your pick”. And I think that it would be fine to do that with some other posters around here, like you.

1 Like

I think it’s bad and confusing but some might disagree (cough @Trolly).

I believe that mods should be free to use IP addresses to link this user name to any other user name that I may have used on this site. They shouldn’t be free to use any of that information to link me to behavior off of this site or to enable others to do the same.

If someone has made it easy to use their username or the contents of their posts to link them to behavior off of this site, that’s on them. I made a new email address to use with this site.

I wouldn’t make a rule about it, but then I don’t like rules. If someone is being a problem, it comes up. If someone was joking or semi-joking or had some other reason that we can’t think of now but when it comes up most people will be cool with it, then people will be cool with it regardless of the rules.

So, lapka and zarapochka? If she has an active lapka account here - no one cares.

1 Like

So can I start an “out yourself or be banned” poll for @Arbytoras?

5 Likes

And practical considerations that I brought up before: maybe it’s screaminasian or maybe it’s kingofny or maybe it’s some other good poster, but an admin doing this certainly has a risk of some good posters freaking out. Definitely not worth it for Arby.

My first answer is, you’re a good poster in good standing and you can start any thread anything like that any time you want. My second answer is that I think that’s a pretty good idea.

For outing 100%. No one needs two accounts. Anyone could come in and atone for their past sins and be forgiven.

Gimmicks are an exception obviously.

2 Likes

I have a huge issue with people getting resurrected with a different user name. The number of scenarios I would be okay with it are so few and so exceptional as to be essentially zero.

This is a tool regular used by bad actors for very poor reasons. I am not interested in facilitating or encouraging that behavior.

I don’t see why you can’t do this.

1 Like

I don’t think you should be able to use the information to out them - not without consent.

I don’t really care what the privacy policy says, but imho that should be used more for situations like when you think someone is possibly going to do something like commit suicide or attack AOC or something.

1 Like

I think we all agree that the privacy policy for “outing” means outing IRL. Confirming a user name is the same shitty person as another user name is not outing.

4 Likes

Agreed, but let’s see the result of @cassette’s poll.

I think when you join a forum like this there is an implicit social contract between you and the community. Therefore, if you abandon (or are banned) from one account and create another, it’s still you. You have no right to anonymity with regards to your previous accounts on this site in that case (maybe there is an exception or two here but I can’t think of any right now).

If we wanted to be additionally cautious then the suggested “out yourself or ban” option I guess is fine.

1 Like

I’ll never tell any of you what my 2p2 username is.