On the Origins of Covid

Making my way through the article:

1. There are two different lineages, which they label A and B, in which they can find no intermediary. This seems to be exceptionally strong evidence this is not a lab leak, unless you’re positing that two lines leaked about at the same time.
  2. The link cases to a specific part of the market where raccoon dogs were
  3. Note the cluster not around WIV

On the whole, this is a solid compilation of evidence that makes it clear the lab-leak and human created hypotheses are not supported.

I could swear we talked about this in one of these threads previously.

Where does guy who thought “don’t know anything about anything but this was very probably not a lab leak; but ok at least a handful of reasonable people had concerns about lab origins (even though, in fairness, most of the lab origins people were pretty derpy); so it’s still, as of now, very probably not a lab leak, though I continue to not really know anything about anything” go for his apology?

3 Likes

We definitely did. They talked about where each case came from too

The sourcing on this bit is actually very sketchy.

Can you be more specific with your criticism?

The claim that raccoon dogs were being sold at Huanan is not well substantiated, as far as I could tell. There’s a paper reporting that wild animals, including raccoon dogs, were being sold at various places in Wuhan, including Huanan, but that’s a bit different.

This is the reference.

It includes survey data and photos of raccoon dogs from the market, plus more. Can you be more specific with what needs to be better substantiated?

Who would have thought that Animal Husbandry, the source of basically every human plague in the past 10,000 years, is yet again the source of another plague.

1 Like

Isn’t that what Rick Santorum warned us about?

3 Likes

Ah, that’s interesting. I missed the caption on those photos sourcing them to Huanan. Fair enough.

1 Like

Glad we’ve moved so quickly from one guy posting something tagged ‘Perspective’ in the Commentary section of Science that doesn’t contain any new information, didn’t include any science or research, wasn’t peer reviewed, wasn’t considered worth including in the print edition, and wasn’t even the most high profile Covid story in the Commentary section yesterday, to now adopting those opinions as established scientific fact.

3 Likes

Science still has a print version?

from one guy posting […] wasn’t peer reviewed

Acknowledgments

Thanks to four anonymous reviewers and to A. Crits-Christoph, E. Holmes, D. Robertson, J. Wertheim, J. Pekar, K. Andersen, S. Goldstein, A. Rambaut, H. Mourant, D. Yang, L. Wang, S. Chen, C. Di, and Q. Jiang for assistance and discussions.

If you have any specific criticisms I’d love to hear them.

The Chinese conspiracy theory was always the outlier theory here.

China must be more forthcoming with data and information related to the origin of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that there had been “many failures” during the pandemic due to a lack of rules or obligations under the WHO’s current 2005 International Health Regulations.

“We need to continue until we know the origins, we need to push harder because we should learn from what happened this time in order to [do] better in the future,” Tedros told a news briefing for Geneva journalists.

I remember a mask connected to plastic tubing with a bowl on the end loaded with pot. I was 13, and the 2 older brothers of my friend were passing it back and forth on the way to my first concert, the Doobie Brothers. I was scared of the contraption, but after a few sips of blackberry brandy, I gave it a shot, except I didnt use the elastic band to secure it to my head.

Awesome concert.

And in retrospect that device could probably put an end to Covid…lol

What is the forum consensus on the origin of the damn virus? I believe it was pretty obviously a leak at Wuhan lab.

There’s this online sleuthing group that I was reading that tends to agree.

The group is called DRASTIC. DRASTIC ( Decentralized Radical Autonomous Search Team Investigating COVID-19 )

Upon reading their wiki it seems the group split in 2 a la this site and Maddog Mason’s.

I haven’t looked at the splinter site yet. Some interesting stuff on there imo.

And it’s not like I’m trying to call it the China Virus or pinning it on China, because afterall there were and most likely still are US research dollars and US researchers still working in Wuhan labs.

Hi mate. Theres a big thread for this discussion. I’ve moved your post here to continue the discussion with those who are keen to do so.

Yes, thank you. A whole big thread.

Perhaps, tomorrow, I will pull some stuff out of that DRASTIC site. Loads of interesting stuff about corrupt vaccine manufacturers and the boatloads of Covid dollars received bt varuous pharma companies. Probably funneled back to Trump and cronies. Peer-reviewed stuff and so forth. Viral chem stuff that’s way over my paygrade. But legit stuff imo

1 Like

That paper appears to rely on infection data from Chinese govt.

And the last thing those “21 scientists” want is for the general public to realize how dangerous gain-of-function experiments are. Their research dollars and livelihoods might go poof.