On the Origins of Covid

Interview with an Australian who worked at the WIV:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-06-27/did-covid-come-from-a-lab-scientist-at-wuhan-institute-speaks-out

Yeah, BSL-2 is just wearing like a mask or something, BSL-3 is like labs in movies and shit.

Sheā€™s speaking specifically about their BSL-4 lab though, when the problem is that they were doing bat virus research at BSL-2. Iā€™m sure their BSL-4 lab is great but itā€™s not very relevant.

1 Like

Senior Biden administration officials overseeing an intelligence review into the origins of the coronavirus now believe the theory that the virus accidentally escaped from a lab in Wuhan is at least as credible as the possibility that it emerged naturally in the wild.

Interesting stuff.

This is pure propaganda.

ā€œPropagandaā€? I thought it was a bit content-free.

Right, that is my read as well, so then what is the purpose of the article, and how do we think people who surf headlines will interpret it?

Senior Biden officials finding that Covid lab leak theory as credible as natural origins explanation

That is a strong headline for an article that basically says little has changed since the last time they tapped this story. There is no new science or evidence presented, just PeOpLe ArE sAyInG unnamed sources familiar with the matter stuff that ends with U.S. intelligence making threats and demands to China.

1 Like

Didnā€™t we already hear this story about the unnamed CIA guy with bombshell secret Wuhan evidence?

1 Like

Propaganda? So are you suggesting that the US Gov is writing CNN headlines or that CNN has its own anti-China agenda?

Click-bait? Sensationalism? Maybe. But propaganda?

Most obvious bait post from bob and we canā€™t just ignore it

Itā€™s more like the CIA selectively leaks things to CNN knowing that CNN will print them because the lab leak stuff is a juicy story.

1 Like

I donā€™t see how that resolves the conflict between LMā€™s statement that the article says almost nothing and itā€™s just the headline and also that itā€™s pure propaganda unless the CIA wrote the headline.

But, is the Biden administration motivated to blame China?

Does the term ā€œpropagandaā€ only apply when the government literally writes the story? This is the security apparatus selectively feeding the press a story, I donā€™t think itā€™s a big exaggeration to call it propaganda but Iā€™m not going to raise a fuss about the semantics of this.

And yes, the intelligence community would always love to gin up an excuse to send a team of investigators to a Chinese biolab. That dynamic doesnā€™t change in a Biden administration.

Itā€™s not semantics and I suggested that CNN could possibly do itā€™s own propaganda as well, but that click-bait or sensationalism would be better explanations. And if itā€™s CIA propaganda fed to CNN then itā€™s about the content of the article and not the headline unless the CIA wrote the headline. And LM says the article is practically content free and nothing new. Hence the contradiction.

But, this is not propaganda, but a CIA op to spy on the Chinese?

Sure, at least thatā€™s what CNN gets out of printing the story. I donā€™t think some CIA operative is sitting in a smoke-filled room dictating headlines to CNN, itā€™s more like CNN knows the lab leak stuff will get clicks and shares.

But, this is not propaganda, but a CIA op to spy on the Chinese?

I donā€™t know what to call it. ā€œpropoganda?ā€ ā€œop?ā€ Insinuating that China is up to some shit and their labs should be investigated is probably useful to the intelligence community.

Am I going full Luckbox here? I donā€™t think this is a super-crazy interpretation of these events.

You suggested they want to spy on the lab. Thatā€™s very different than the ā€œpropagandaā€ mission to blame China. Thatā€™s why I said ā€œopā€.

If itā€™s ā€œinsinuationā€ were back to propaganda. Does the CIA have an agenda, that itā€™s acting on, that is separate from the Biden administration here? Trump is no longer president.

Thereā€™s a reason this stuff gets leaked. Either itā€™s some guy gets drunk and blabs too much to his reporter buddy or itā€™s because this intelligence community guy wants the story to get out. Of course the CIA is not separate from the Biden administration. Bidenā€™s the head of the executive branch!

Yes? And? Do you think Iā€™m some kind of massive Biden apologist or that I donā€™t think shitty things will go down in a Biden administration? Because I think you know full well thatā€™s not where Iā€™m coming from.

Itā€™s not that I think you love Biden, itā€™s that I think you recognize that Biden has a different stance towards China.

I donā€™t think Biden is above ā€œblame Chinaā€ in any way. But are they doing that? Is that what theyā€™re motivated to do?

Look I donā€™t know whatā€™s going on behind closed doors in the Biden administration. I see ā€œSenior Biden intelligence official leaks info to the pressā€ and I assume itā€™s because this senior intelligence official wants the story published. idk what the motivation is.

2 Likes