**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

And I’m on pace to die alone.

Maybe I should become a racist piece of shit.

1 Like

Germany has laws making internet sites (eg. Facebook) liable for users posting illegal content, including libel and inciting hatred. The way it works is that if content is reported they have to evaluate it and remove if appropriate. If they fail to do so they can be fined. It’s quite similar to DMCA complaints.

I thought it was Coaster Brad.

the pretty obvious solution here is to say that 230 stays, and services that are just straight bulletin boards are protected, but once they start making editorial decisions about which content to show you, the protection disappears. If facebook just wants to let people post their pictures and stuff, great. Once they start shoving “recommended content” at you, they’re responsible.

4 Likes

Facebook made $24B in 2019. They could hire 500000 moderators if they wanted to. 1000000 or more really because they would be in the Philippines or India. Instead, they have 15000. (I’m not suggesting they should or must (or not not suggesting it), but they could.)

Huh. I lived in Rochester for 7 years, and I only ever really remember hearing Sear-uh-cues.

This makes a ton of sense. “Hey we’re just a bulletin board in the town square! Er, except that the content is curated by amoral algorithms scientifically designed to deliver maximum payload to your aunt’s dopamine receptors. But ignore that part!”

Seer-uh (I’m assuming “seer” is one syllable) and cuse like excuse for me.

Never lived there (or ever been there unless driving by on the NYS Thruway counts).

2 Likes

Yeah that’s the one I consider correct. I think part of it is because like 10-15% of the town is students, so you have a lot of people not from there pronouncing it differently. You’re missing in some upstate New York accents, a lot of Boston and New York accents, and some Philly accents. Lots of professors probably moved there from all over, too. Most of the exposure the outside world gets is via basketball games on TV, and each broadcaster is probably saying it a little differently. Thus it all got normalized.

That’s my guess. Who knows what it was supposed to be originally.

Rochester’s #1 employer is a university, too, now that Kodak is basically busto. Upstate NY accent definitely has its quirks that you don’t hear a lot on TV or the like (we almost immediately ruled out naming either of our girls Charlotte, because we knew we couldn’t forget the abominable pronunciation of it in Rochester), but they were pretty staunch in their pronunciation of the next stop on the thruway.

1 Like

When I was living in Rochester my apartment was on CHAI-lie Ave and I had friends from the nearby town of LIME-uh.

3 Likes

Did you ever order a side syalad while out at a local restaurant?

Never picked up on that one. I was only there for a year, so not long enough to get familiar with the more subtle pronunciation quirks.

I have to go to Sarah like the name Cuse like excuse today to get some CO2…if you said it any different my eyebrow might raise.

Just messing it is pronounced a few different ways.

you guys are making me thirsty for a honey brown.

I discovered the avatar hats thread just in time to find out they had been disabled :(

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/seanmcarroll/status/1334960177653542912?s=20

4 Likes

Dream Corp is a great show.

I want some salt potatoes.

3 Likes

Law licensing people in KY doing Lawbro things

https://twitter.com/sportslawlust/status/1334977410937335808?s=21

1 Like