**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

I can’t teach you the theory like fourier transforms and stuff - because I’m just a slider monkey. But I can teach you how to seamlessly blend images w/o halos - using a technique taught to me be a pro landscape photographer. Hit me up with a PM and we can do a zoom session if you want.

On that image you’re never going to get more than a silhouette with the leaves and small branches w/o halos. The contrast is too great. But you can bring out some of the trunk, larger branches and land. And maybe a little of the middle of a big block of branches where it isn’t touching the sky.

Knocking out the light pollution and fixing the green you don’t like should be pretty straightforward.

1 Like

Kyle keeps his Mars rock in a Tupperware bowl in the fridge.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/1381015625728937984?s=21

2 Likes

HOW DARE YOU

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/ImIncorrigible/status/1381533320421445632

2 Likes

You guys have Menulog there? They’re a food delivery company like DoorDash or Uber Eats. Anyway they’ve announced they’re going to give their couriers minimum wage + superannuation instead of gig wages. Worth preferring them if there’s a choice

1 Like

HOW DO I TURN OFF MY CAPS LOCK?

:grinning:

2 Likes

No, but I’ve mentioned EatStreet as an American alternative to those companies that treat their employees as actual employees instead of independent contractors.

UberEats failed in the Czech Republic when they realized that anti-monopoly laws would end up requiring them to pay competitive wages to their workers.

DameJidlo drivers aren’t making a killing but they aren’t living in their cars either.

1 Like

You learn something new every day. I knew a lot of people consider Alexander Graham Bell to be a ahole, but I didn’t know this

AGB’s “listening and spoken language” — based approach comes out of the school of oralism, which aims to educate Deaf children through the use of oral speech and lip reading (as opposed to manualism, which advocates for the primary use of ASL in Deaf education). The goals of oralism may not sound controversial to most hearing people, but oralism has a long and problematic history.

In the 1860s, Alexander Graham Bell was a prominent oralist, and to some, an important figure in the spreading of audism — the belief that it is inherently better to be able to speak and hear. Although he surely thought otherwise, Bell had an ugly relationship with the Deaf community. Though his mother and wife were Deaf, he was intent on wiping out “hereditary deafness.” He removed Deaf faculty from schools, demanded the same schools stop their use of ASL, and advocated against “deaf intermarriage.”

Bell was also involved in the Eugenics movement, serving for a time as chairman of the board of scientific advisers to the Eugenics Record Office.

In 1880, prompted by talks between Bell and other prominent figures in deaf education, 164 delegates met for the Second International Congress on Education of the Deaf. Only one of the delegates was deaf. At the conference, a resolution was passed that banned sign language in schools, in an effort to encourage spoken language skills, and thus “[restore] the deaf-mute to society.” Other passages in the resolution urge us to “[consider] the incontestable superiority of speech over signs,” and argue that teaching deaf people to speak English will “[give them] a more perfect knowledge of language.” After its passage, schools in Europe and the United States ceased all use of sign language.

1 Like

from the article…

The controversy is sometimes difficult for hearing people to understand. Hearing people often assume that Deaf people would naturally want to take advantage of any method that could lead them to become part of the hearing world — especially cochlear implants, the most advanced hearing technology we have. In reality, that assumption is far from true. To members of Deaf culture, American Sign Language is a cultural cornerstone. Because Deaf children who receive cochlear implants at a young age will likely be educated in the oralist method, they are less likely to learn ASL during their early years, which are the most critical years of language acquisition. For some Deaf parents, that would result in a child who speaks a different language than they do.

Opposing your child being able hear because something something deaf community.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Exploding_Heads/status/1381605316836605956

4 Likes

Interesting how deaf is being used as a proper noun.

Never recall seeing that before.

What’s what hating prog rock?

You cut your quote before it started to get really fucked up.

Understandably, some see this as a loss of culture- one that, in some cases, has been passed down through generations. What may seem to a hearing person like an opportunity may be seen by some Deaf people as a loss.

The debate stems from a fundamental disagreement: one group sees deafness as a disability, and the other group sees it as a culture. The trouble is that the former group holds a disproportionate amount of power, and the latter group are the ones affected.

Jeff DuPree volunteers with Audism Free America, and is a proud sixth-generation Deaf person. I spoke with him through an interpreter at the symposium. Jeff told me, “My whole life I’ve lived as a Deaf person. I married a Deaf person, I’ve worked and associated with Deaf people, and I’ve had no problem in this world. So why are organizations like this trying to take away my right to live the way I want to live, my right to raise my children the way I feel they should be raised?”

It isn’t?

1 Like

THAT’S AUDIST

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1381636518645788677

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1381328716018618373

3 Likes

Playing Wet wet wet to them would mean that they would probably have addiction issues.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like