**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

Well first of all, wow. That doesn’t read like a real person posting true stories. Has a Dynasty joeybitch vibe. I’ve never met anyone that desperate for attention.

I see now you were joking about the high-end restaurant critic thing. So second thing, ranch is still on my menu.

I’ve never been a big go out to eat person. When I do go out, I know I’m not going to get exactly what I want. I mean this Springs person might as well show up with a recipe book with pictures of how she wants her food presented. Maybe annotated with tip deductions for omissions and errors.

https://twitter.com/curtainsdc/status/1374406667287158786

1 Like

That’s some impressive non-contiguity for Massachusetts.

1 Like

You spelled gerrymandering weird. :joy:

2 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/1374062156715491328

https://mobile.twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/1373544102453768192

7 Likes

Well obviously that is the dream (comfortable retirement without need for gainful employment), but if you come up short, one of those two seems to be the far more desirable option.

So much to love about this map.

• Massachusetts in five pieces. The OG Great Lakes state.
  • Connecticut with Chicago and Cleveland.
  • Four cities labeled on Pennsylvania are Pittsburgh, Philly, Reading and…Wyoming?
  • Mega Virginia still maintains the south part of the Delmarva peninsula.
  • Florida pulling a Chile and saying “Fuck you, we get ALL the ocean”.

She’s also extremely prolific, posting across the entire web. I think at this point she’s a character like Q that doesn’t really exist as one single person, but is made of several individuals doing a performance.

She doesn’t hold a candle to our babs though. RIP oot.

1 Like

Florida was still owned by Spain at the time.

This picture. The ship is 400 meters long and stuck in the Suez Canal.

I got to see those things up close in the Panama Canal - so surreal having one of them sail by in a canal that’s 100’ above where you’re standing.

I drove a milk carton remember?

If you’re ever in Panama with time to kill - you can volunteer to be a line handler on a small boat. They need a captain and 4-line handlers - and many boats don’t have that many on board. It was really cool. Takes two days usually, you spend the night in the lake in the middle.

The pilots who work for the Canal are on your boat the whole time you’re going through the locks. They speak English and are pretty much tour guides for the Canal and know everything about it.

Those giant Supermax boats have 18" of clearance on each side. They’re kept in place by these little rail car things with computerized cables. I saw one that wasn’t even that big unload like 60 line-handlers who work for the Canal after it got through. The biggest boats pay over $1M a pop to go through.

Here’s our little trio of boats going through with a big but not Supermax freighter. The Supermax boats have their own set of locks.

4 Likes

Witnessing the Panama Canal locks operating with the huge cargo container ships is amazing. The fit is extremely tight.

Images and Data of Panamax Ships in the Panama Canal locks

I too has canal pics (both of them).

Suez is one lane most of the way. Sometimes you gotta pull over and let the other ships pass.

Panama (mind the gap):

The rail guide things:

2 Likes

Yeah it’s incredible - especially considering we had to work our asses off to keep the lines tight but not too tight on the little boat. I thought - how big of a job can it be to man a line? It never occurred to me that the line would need to be constantly adjusted as the water rises and falls. That’s not usually a problem you have tying off to a dock.

And we were lashed to two other sail boats - which made the line pretty tight. The woman and her dad who owned the boat both injured themselves getting pinched by a line. That water looked nasty too if you fell in - whirlpools everywhere from the water draining or coming in.

We were the last boats through of the day on the first set of locks. Over the radio we could hear the captain of the dock (whatever he’s called), barking at the cars to keep in the right place, then tell everyone nice work and go have a beer.

2 Likes

Entering the canal at Suez itself:

5 Likes
3 Likes