**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

ding ding

Oh OK. Then yes, correct.

So there’s one more left.

I’m allergic to Lil Wayne so I have no idea what his other aliases are.

1 Like

Nicki Minaj?

Nice. Got there pretty fast.

Huge wtf at chris brown being on that list, I wouldn’t have guessed he was in the top 50. He most defintely isn’t a rapper anyway, whoever put him that list should be slapped.

Wait, they have made music after 2000? :grin:

Last one Kendrick Lamar?

Would this be an interesting thread/discussion:

Which had more history, the first 20 years of the 20th century or the first 20 years of the 21st century?

We’ve all been focused on how much 2020 sucks, but if I compare my high-school history knowledge of 1900-1920 vs. my US-centric lived experience of 2000-2020, the 1900s seem way crazier. But when I start to research it more, it seems like a more interesting comparison (with edge still going to 20th century).

What does it mean to have more history?

The big difference in the 1900 to 1920 period is the average person wouldn’t be immediately connected to news events so could live their lives mostly divorced from those that didn’t directly impact them.

I knew that was a bad way to phrase it. Basically I’m trying to compare the total historical significance (whatever that means) of two periods. Like you could have one year where nothing interesting happens, and another year where there are revolutions around the world. Let me know if you have ideas about a more succinct way to say this.

How can we answer that question now? We’d have to wait decades before we can evaluate the historical impact of the early 21st century from a more objective view.

Hard to determine the significance of something when you’re in the middle of it.

I also think in terms of changes in the way people lived between 1900 and 1920 and 2000 and 2020 it’s not close. The first 20 years of the 20th century marked a near total shift in how the majority of people lived. Electricity and the telephone alone win over anything in the last 20 years.

I think that challenge is part of what would make it an interesting discussion.

It’s an impossible question to answer. You’re basically asking us to predict the future in order to discuss this.

It feels (and may feel to future generations) that way because we have more stuff, more sources of information. And there’s more people. So I guess if you could weight it by population, 20thC walks it on WWI alone, but in absolute terms it’s probably objectively true that we have ‘more history’.

In terms of world-significant events, again, WWI. We just haven’t had one of those.

`What?

“Real G’s move in silence like lasagna” may be the single greatest written line in the English language.

4 Likes

Those poor fools.

I’m currently reading this book, where the general premise is that advanced societies require increasingly complexity, which makes them fragile and more prone to collapse.

I just got this letter in the mail from a major building materials supplier I use sometimes. Things have been like this all Summer, with shortages, delays and price increases making it genuinely difficult at times for me to do my job. I just got my last few pieces of decking last week for a job where I started trying to get materials in early June.

All of this is from a relatively mild pandemic which you would expect to have almost no impact on something like roofing and windows. And yet here we are.

3 Likes

I’m not sure I buy the premise that more complex systems are necessarily more fragile than simple ones.

1 Like