**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

Havent been to jean talon, will do when I go there when the pandemic is over. Imagine I won’t be doing Vegas even in 2021 so maybe a playground event is doable.

https://twitter.com/BillOReilly/status/1328147978020909056

JFC - articulate.

I dunno. When I think of Quebecers, I think of these guys:

2 Likes

I put Montreal bagels down there too, but only because I’m not a huge bagel guy. They’re good, but I just don’t enjoy bagels that much.

Also, St. Viateur is just wrong on principle. I get that it’s the name of the street, but you can’t name a serious bagel place Saint anything. It’s just wrong. It would be like naming a Jewish Deli “St. Mary’s” or something like that.

Bill O’Reilly’s tweet contains a racist back-handed compliment and a direct insult. No surprise. But what was totally ignored by Mr. O’Reilly is the fact that he can go fuck himself from now to the end of time.

6 Likes

Oh he definitely knows that, it’s why he got fired.

1 Like

We really need to come up with our own stuff for triggering them. It needs to be something petty and meaningless.

Meh, that’s different. You don’t have to name your bagel shop after the street it’s on.

:rotating_light: NEW FAVORITE CEREAL ALERT :rotating_light: NEW FAVORITE CEREAL ALERT :rotating_light: NEW FAVORITE CEREAL ALERT :rotating_light:

I don’t even like bagels that much, but those are good enough that I’d gladly breathe in a bit of oven exhaust.

Shutting down St. Viateur would be even more wrong that the decision to call it St. Viateur.

Re: the discussion of France, it’s probably passed but two things.

Firstly the supposed grumpiness of customer service and casual interactions. To some extent that’s just true, to some extent it’s a function of how willing you are to make an effort in French, and to some extent it’s something that’s changed a lot (for the ‘better’) in Paris over the last decade or so.

But, I think an underrated component is a difference between French French accents and most English accents, which is that the French do not vary their tone very much. Most English accents use tone for emphasis and emotion, the French largely just don’t. Their speech is very monotonal by comparison and they use elongation as the main emphasis. The upshot is that French people just sound permanently slightly annoyed or aggressive to people used to most English accents.

Secondly that France has a vague reputation in the anglophone world for being more left wing. That’s just wrong. France is a small c conservative country, more so than the UK, and its welfare state was the result of a political consensus that eventually included everyone up to the ‘far right’. Now that Macron is continuing its dismantling under neo-liberal orthodoxy then Le Pen is one of its most visible ‘defenders’, but her defence is (obviously) nothing to do with left wing politics. To some extent it’s just opposing Macron, but to her it’s a privilege that the French have as French and that idea is much closer to being the mainstream here than it being about supporting the less fortunate or protecting the vulnerable. That’s obviously also a facet of ‘Trumpism’ (to the impoverished extent that one can talk of Trump’s poliitcal ‘thought’.)

4 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1328549599846416384

Pub quiz opening question is always a big multi-pointer and this week it was “who are the 7 top-selling rappers of all time”. I got 4.

Might be last pub quiz in a while if we can’t control this COVID cluster.

Jay-z
Eminem
Yeezy
Wheezy
Diddy
Nas
Drake?

Same four I got, Jay-Z, Eminem, Kanye, Drake. I also put Diddy and Nas (both wrong). Don’t even know who Wheezy is.

As a hint, one of the others is not actually a rapper imo, he’s an RNB guy.

Kanye
Eminem
Jay-Z
2Pac
Drake
Notorious BIG
Do the Beastie Boys count?

Does Nas even have any high selling albums?

I’d guess those 4, Tupac, snoop and for the more r&b one it will be either the weeknd or chris brown

Yes that one plays

It’s all solo. That’s just the same 4 correct as above, others wrong.

Hmmm.

Wheezy I meant as Lil Wayne. He has to be top 7, right?

I’m surprised about Diddy. I can’t even think of a RnB person I’d consider for most sold. Usher?