**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

Also Logan calls her Shiv-awn about 20% of the time.

I’ve heard the Irish have an affinity for Mexico. Spelling envy might explain it.

There have been collaborations from time to time, yes.

2 Likes

Yeah… IRL, I don’t think many people would want to nickname their daughters after implements used to commit jailhouse murders.

But isn’t Logan Scotch? Do they pronounce that name the same way?

If I were I Shiobhan, there is a 90% chance I’d have chosen to go by Shiv prior to seeing Succession.

Speaking of following one’s passion, this reporter certainly did

The no-humor part of me thinks that this is a perfect example of why rural folk see city people as out of touch elitists.

The other part of me thinks it’s hilarious and damned fine investigative reporting.

5 Likes

Great writing, in any case.

2 Likes

I’m not saying following your passion doesn’t ever work out well.
https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1343718132381265921?s=19

2 Likes

I go through streaks of doing crosswords as well, and I just subscribed to NYT Sunday Delivery (because I’m not going to stores and collecting free newspapers, I also need newspaper to start my fires, hah), which gave me access to the NYT Crossword app. I’m pretty on Weds, but haven’t solved a Thursday yet.

I follow some crossword people on Twitter, and they were raving about the Washington Post Sunday Crossword and the meta related to it. I solved the main puzzle, but the next step for the 5x5 was lost on me. I cheated a bit to get started, then the final 5 word answer was completely lost on me, so I read the creator’s write up with all the spoilers.

It’s a good challenge if someone wants to take a stab. The puzzle is free without a Post subscription.

1 Like

Quite different to the cryptic crosswords we’re used to here. Not a huge fan, I must say.

1 Like
1 Like

Cryptic crosswords are more fun.

1 Like

Bit of a crossword snob, I must admit.

The meta was a really tough solve. I can’t even imagine creating a puzzle like that.

Well I mean…you’d close it down when you saw

17 That guy’s (3)

I used to tackle The Guardian cryptic with a workmate back in the day. Each setter had a unique style that you had to be attuned to. I remember one setter, Enigmatist, who set a crossword one day where every clue was just a single letter.

We were staring at it agape until my pal got a Down clue:

M (3,2,3,7,2,3)

and seeing the theme enabled us to complete it. Funny how you remember specific things from 35 years ago but can’t remember what you had for dinner a week ago.

“Top of the morning to you”?

4 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

ʀammstein

2 Likes

I know one of the setters of the famous weekly puzzle (The Times I think?), as well as another who often went to the annual get-together for people who solve all 52 (or however many) puzzles during the year. He used a star theme as his signature, so Starman or something like that. Anyway, the setter now lives in the U.S., and does American-style crosswords and no cryptic ones :-O.

1 Like