**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

Yeah, that is 100% pure truth.

I don’t 100% agree with video guy but what he says is at least a step better than “follow your passion”. Nothing anyone does is guaranteed to lead to finding/creating passion, success, money, or love.

2 Likes

I think I do it like this

Step 1. Identify things you are good at
Step 2. Of those pick the one you are most passionate about
Step 3, grit, etc.

Instead of this:

Step 1. Identify things you are passionate about
Step 2. Pick the one you are best at
Step 3. grit, etc.

I think the first approach will yield better overall results and likely more happiness than the second approach. Although the vast majority of the time they will lead to the same place.

1 Like

The problem with following your passion is that the things most people are passionate about can’t provide them with a paycheck, and there are also a rather significant number of people who never figure out how to be passionate about anything. There’s also the problem of all the absolutely necessary jobs that nobody will ever be passionate about, like cleaning port-a-johns. Telling people to follow their passions is just shit advice that doesn’t provide value for them or society.

3 Likes

Whenever i had something im passionate about and turned it into a job, it became a job…

3 Likes

It is for most people. Except substitute competent for great. And it doesn’t necessarily lead to recognition, money, or love.

Your job is to find something you’re passionate about and get good at it.

That’s fine as long as you don’t starve in the process. Guy may be an idiot, but at least he’s not as lazy as the follow your passion people. They’re basically saying, hey I don’t have time for you, follow your passion and get lost.

Have you looked into being an influencer?

Befriend Mason Malmuth

2 Likes

I’m not. Maybe that’s why it irritates me.

3 Likes

Yeah, what I tell people is to find a problem that you’re passionate about working on. This is the superior framing, IMO, and also is helpful in how you describe yourself to others. If someone asks you “Why do you want to work here?” you want to respond in terms if the problems you’re going to solve. If you tell people that you are passionate about getting paid to do stuff that you enjoy doing that doesn’t sound like a great value prop for the employer.

Yeah, it’s just generic pablum, really, like “Find a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life” like yes you fucking will, mate. People love being parents more than just about anything and it’s obviously one of the most demanding, hard-work-involving things a person can do (assuming you don’t just half-ass it).

3 Likes

It’s at least as good as telling people that through grit and perseverance they can clean port-a-johns so well that they will inevitably become a port-a-john cleaning magnate. The fundamental problem with both is the assumption that career success will necessarily make you happy or anyway that career success is a good primary goal in life.

1 Like

It just varies so much from person to person. For some people being a mail carrier, walking around all day with headphones on, and then going home and checking out, and having good security, and good retirement at a relatively young age (up until this point anyway - probably going to change) is perfect. It’s all a matter of weighing many factors and everyone assigns different weights to things. Good advice though is at least don’t take a job that makes you miserable and you have to do for a long time. Life is too short and you may well die within a couple years of whatever goal - financial independence/retirement.

3 Likes

Yeah, my framing presumes that a person is looking for work with “greater purpose”. Building a secure life is certainly a valid higher priority.

One piece of advice I think it’s drastically under-given to young people is to choose bosses carefully. If you have an awful boss, and most bosses are indeed awful, you will almost certainly be unhappy.

4 Likes

More specifically, how a good boss behaves as well. A lot of younger people get duped by manipulative psychos.

this isn’t windows RT or whatever from 20 years ago, dude.

Scott Galloway is hyper-elite, he has some really weird blindspots but overall he’s very solid, he does a couple of podcasts (Pivot with Kara Swisher and the Prof G show)

2 Likes

Id rather have something which pays my bills, with little stress, or investment of caring about it or cares if i have to find a new one.

Or work to live not live to work.

1 Like

Why are certain people obsessed with walking their dogs off-leash?