**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

My uncle does too and he’s in prison.

3 Likes

I inherited very low six figs at 30, which was a complete surprise to me until a few months before I received it. Not enough to change my life but enough to put me on a great head start and a good safety net in case I fall on hard times (which has happened already). At first I told people, particularly friends, thinking they’d be happy for me because I’ve been broke my whole life and that sum was like a billion dollars to me. But the reaction was not what I expected, it was extremely negative or at best passive aggressive “must be nice.”

I should have expected that, looking back. I expect a similar negative reaction by sharing this (looking forward to the trust fund kid comments in my future) but I have resolved to use the money I have to lift people up who do not have as much as I do.

In short, I think a massive sum of money would probably change a lot of people’s lives for the worse. You simply cannot hang in the same circles anymore, especially if you have broke friends. The money will always be a thing between you. And a lot of people will come sniffing around, that didnt care about you before, and you’ll always wonder if it’s genuine or not.

Don’t tell anyone if you win a huge sum like that. Not even your family.

4 Likes

i’m reading that early polls suggest that a majority of Americans say loosening cherry pie restrictions would “put a smile on their face ten miles wide”

2 Likes

Honestly, the negative reactions are a good sign those are people you don’t want in your life.

I also received a shock 150k IRA from a high school teacher. I told some of my closest friends. Nobody cares, it hasn’t changed our relationship in any way. Maybe because it’s not that much money since it gets dribbled to me in small amounts in required yearly withdrawals, I don’t know.

I think people who react poorly to this stuff are letting you know who they really are.

1 Like

There was a €200,000,000 Euromillions payout to a single winner last week. Suppose I won that, I mean, I just have no interest in being the only rich person I know. And yet all the advice is not to give people money if something like that happens. So I dunno, maybe it just wouldn’t ever be good.

Only semi-related, but I think there’s a hell of a novel to be written about an alternative universe where Elliot Rodger won one of those $500MM Powerball lotteries he was spending hundreds playing in the year before his shooting spree. Could be a Great Gatsby for the modern age, imo.

Wtf? Did he molest you or something?

1 Like

The Vegas shooter was rich, it really doesn’t matter past having enough money not to worry, as confirmed by infinity peer reviewed studies.

All my friends, or former friends, were complete morons with money, who lived paycheck to paycheck with massive debt that was growing and not shrinking. Not that anyone in that situation is a moron, but these guys definitely were. for them, I was already considered “the rich guy” just because I had a car that was paid off and could pay the rest of my bills pretty stress free, because I have always budgeted my money carefully and I never turned down work even if it meant working 100+ hours in a week.

Those days are long gone, but I think you’re probably right. But for anyone in a desperate situation, it’s hard to hear about anyone getting a windfall when it’s not you, even a friend. I’ve been there before.

Some of the info I’ve seen about past lottery winners is that many end up unhappy because they totally blow through the money in record time and end up right back where they were.

So, what? I think most people who give to charity give an amount that doesn’t appreciably affect their lifestyle. That’s more or less what I do. I guess I’m a POS like Bill Gates.

One of my favorite quotes of all time, from Bill Russell’s dad:

“Son, if the man asks you for 8 hours, give him 9. That way you can look any man on the job site straight in the eye and tell him to go to hell.”

Totally worth an extra hour a day imo.

1 Like

One problem with that is everybody else will tell you to go to hell. Or at least they’re thinking it.

Not your bosses though. You’re too valuable.

That’s always been my career philosophy. I want to be valuable enough that I can piss on the boss’ desk and he just has to take it. I never want to be the one getting pissed on. I’d rather make hats on the beach.

We had a lame zoom Christmas party today where my boss and everyone at her level had to put on a bunch of cringey crap - as their boss and her boss looked on. Just shoot me when I get to that level. Not remotely worth one notch up in pay imo.

4 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Guessing your net worth is also an amount that will allow you to live for 1000 lifetimes? Pretty nice deal if you can get it

1 Like

This is definitely not empirically true in my experience.

1 Like

Looks like Bill Russell was brainwashed by corporate workaholic propaganda. Call me old fashioned but no one should have to work more than 8 hours just to earn respect.

10 Likes

Damnit, I hate it when I agree with watevs

1 Like

Now be a black guy in the 50s.

Wat

Now that is check and mate if I’ve ever seen it