**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

Lotta people choosing an objectively wrong answer. You are massively more likely to have a good, happy life if you keep a few mil and give the rest away ASAP.

2 Likes

Yep. Pretty sure research shows winning the lottery is very likely to either not change your happiness level or even make you less happy.

1 Like

about five or six years ago there was some dude in the Lounge or EDF that claimed to hit the lotto for like, what $100MM or so? That guy was full of shit, right?

Oddly, I know two people who won the lotto. A woman in grad school won $3M and a family friend won $50k/year for 20 years on a scratch ticket.

Pretty sure thatā€™s just because most people are dumb.

2 Likes

Sure but heā€™s already limited in what he can do with his own money because he has so much of it. So it doesnā€™t effect him or his lifestyle at all.

Iā€™ll take my chances, thank you very much. :grin:

4 Likes

If I won, say, $100M Iā€™d set aside maybe 5M for myself and my family/friends who need help, then figure out how many homes I can purchase, renovate, and give away to people in Baltimore. Probably a couple thousand, at least, although Iā€™d like some of them to be housing for the homeless and thereā€™s probably a deeper investment involved there to hook them up with social workers and medical care and whatnot. Although honestly Iā€™d dread having to screen applicants and pick winners and losers.

2 Likes

A guy I lived next to in college apartments made a billion. He was FBs first hire and ran its hardware setup for like 10 years. He now teaches school.

(Well, teaches computer science as an adjunct professor.)

1 Like

is newsweek still a ā€œrealā€ magazine? I read this headline and just assumed they went bankrupt and a troll farm bought the domain?

As I recall, Newsweek got bought out by some shady-ass clickbait company. Or maybe thatā€™s Time.

1 Like

A brother of a friend of mine won the lottery for $16 million. It took about 10 years to blow it all mostly on trips to Vegas. I heard it really sucks to work shit jobs and be known as the guy who blew his lotto winnings.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1339650283400523779?s=20

13 Likes

wait no way

Iā€™m sure theyā€™re TERRIFIED of having toā€¦maybe pay $5 million of OPM

This is my representative

https://twitter.com/jivedurkey/status/1339629505586061316?s=21

I wouldnā€™t tell anybody about my lotto score. Iā€™d give away the bulk of it. But I wouldnā€™t want the criticism. Iā€™d do it mostly by whim-- suboptimal and probably way less effective from a do-good perspective than Gates/Buffet.

It would be stuff like, hey lady thatā€™s been panhandling with her kids on that corner for 6 months and has them in a plastic bubble/tent so they donā€™t run off or freeze, hereā€™s $10K, take your kids to daycare. Hey Sarah Mclachlan, here, have $100K, stop making me cry with your animal cruelty videos. Lady on local news that canā€™t afford groceries during the pandemic, hereā€™s $2K. Food pantry, $50K for you.

Iā€™d also anonomously gift some to friends and family in need or who are just generally deserving. For myself Iā€™d buy like a 5 yo Lexus IS 250 and get a slightly bigger apartment. Iā€™d keep enough so I could afford health care and donā€™t end up homeless.

I actually feel like this approach makes me kind of a dick, so I wouldnā€™t want anyone to know.

2 Likes

Over time Iā€™ve come to realize I get way more utility out of having money than I do from spending it. Just knowing I can tell anyone to fuck off and still have a roof over my head is a good feeling. Also when I buy expensive stuff I just feel like an asshole.

2 Likes

Try the new American cherry pies, make sure you have insurance because you might need it

https://twitter.com/scottgottliebmd/status/1339577143332900867?s=21

Banishing the pandemic task force and spending your resources on loosening cherry pie restrictions seems like kind of a bad idea in hindsight. But what do I know?

1 Like

You donā€™t need a million dollars to do that. My cousin tells anyone to fuck off and heā€™s broke.

7 Likes