**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

Why would twitter want to take things out of your feed? Seems like they’d just want to throw extra stuff in.

Because a) they think they know better than you what you want to see and b) curating is all the value.

Maybe. Seems to me that the value is getting your eyeballs on their site and they’d want you to see and get notified when the people you are following post anything.

My wife is why I saw this ad. She saw it because Taylor Swift pretty predictably blasted it all over social media.

Still an absolutely amazing ad for a dating site. Seriously it’s hysterical.

Facebook stopped doing that a long long time ago. There’s too much value in being the gatekeeper/curator. You can reward posters deemed good for the site and punish (shadow ban) posters deemed bad.

IE - any time I would post a link to my blog it hardly gets any response. So once I posted “as a test, please like or reply if you get this” - It got like 8 replies out of 500 friends. FB does not like links that take users off the site. But if I post a pic that gets a few initial likes, then it goes out to everyone and I can get over 100 likes.

Also posters can literally pay to have their posts promoted. FB knows most people would probably rather see all posts if given a choice. So they don’t even offer it as an option.

Twitter tried doing it with Home (heavily curated) vs. Latest Tweets (apparently also curated now). They still randomly switch you to Home constantly and you have to switch back to Latest Tweets. There’s just no way they want to show everything. They want control of content.

Hi folks. You may or may not have noticed some drama in the forum over the long weekend. I made a post in About Unstuck with a proposal in response.

If you’re interested, I encourage you to take a look at the thread and put in your $0.02, whether that’s just to vote in the poll, or to post your thoughts and/or responses to others’ ideas. Thanks!

LOL, okay man.

1 Like

Aside from the search, this software really rocks. So great that you can expand that excerpt and see the poll, which I presume is up to date right here. Nice work picking this @zikzak.

3 Likes

Yeah the person I quoted follows 1900 accounts. I follow 439 and haven’t noticed missing tweets.

Also she’s super political and was probably getting shadow-banned herself a lot, which may make a difference in what you see.

I still want the basic option to see all tweets/posts in chronological order. I’m already missing tons of content via their curation algorithm. I’d rather miss random content based on chronological order.

You can choose Latest Tweets on the web. But apparently that’s still curated for some people. Not sure if it is for me or not. Also follow-back is lame. And you can always just drop the people later.

So you don’t tweet and you don’t read your feed - what do you use twitter for?

There’s a workaround for Facebook but it involves always using this link and they’ll probably break that eventually.

I think they punish you for using that link by making every other post an ad.

Btw has anyone else noticed FB ads getting really cheesy lately? It seems like most of the well-funded “disrupting ED pills”-type startups are gone, and I’m getting late-night TV ads now - and a lot more of them. Maybe FB is putting out more ads to make up for not being able to charge as much.

I do have a sports list that I try to stick to to keep me from getting riled up about politics.

Thx. I follow one person who tweets once a month or so. Twitter lets me see all of it.

Twitter sends me lots of Spanish-language sumo coverage, that’s pretty solid AI curation.

I never look at that stuff.

If you follow too many people to be able to keep up with the feed that’s your problem to solve, not FB or Twitters. Of course they want you follow more people because then people have more followers and think they are popular and use the services more. I can’t remember the last change FB has made that hasn’t made the service worse to use for me.

South African PowerBall Lottery
(five numbers from 50 and one PowerBall from 20)

https://twitter.com/sa_lottery/status/1334067037459664896

7 Likes

I’m a bit obsessed with this story:

https://twitter.com/VitalVegas/status/1333896718618746881

1 Like