Non-Political Ranting: Unleash Your Anger ITT

At least bmw has axed their heated seat subscription.

Got the printer AND scanner working again with my laptop. Uninstalled. Tried installing with the WPS PIN, which kind of worked, but it said the drivers were unavailable. So I downloaded them from the HP website. It ran some sort of setup software, which, naturally, couldn’t find the printer. I had to enter the IP address. Then it still couldn’t do the installation for some reason, but fortunately gave me a link to download the drivers directly and it all worked out.

There’s no fucking way someone who doesn’t know computers could’ve done that. Does grandma know the IP address of her printer?

At convenient stores here you pay at self-checkout stands via scanning a QR code on your phone.

99% of the time after you scan the payment directly goes through after a few seconds. Randomly 1% of the time you need to input your payment password on your phone before it goes through.

99% of the time I watch my phone and wait for the payment to go through. 1% of the time I scan it, immediately put my phone back in my pocket, grab whatever I bought and leave.

Guess how I’m running.

Not sure how angry I should be.

Family is in Scottsdale on vacation and we go to a piano bar. They solicit requests, both Christmas songs and non-Christmas they say, via Venmo. I request the best Christmas song ever (Christmas Wrapping) with what I believe is a standard $5 tip.

They don’t play the song, and I have no recourse. Is this standard? Am I implicitly bound to request one of the 50 or so overplayed standards? Shouldn’t they be at least “hey that’s an awesome song but we don’t know it, can we play an alternative?”?

(I know that my request was timely because they played our other song—Shake it Off requested by my daughter—early on.)

Trying not to let this ruin our trip.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t expect my song to be played for less than $20 and then only if they know the song. I certainly have no idea what song that is.

Yikes

I recognized like 15 seconds worth of trumpet solo. Any musician playing that on demand is a witch.

You may have needed to sing some bars from this song for them. Because you could have played this song for me (which I recognize) and tortured me until I guessed the name of the song, and I would have just passed out from the pain.

This you?

2 Likes

Every clip I’ve ever seen of that show is like “I have no idea what’s going to happen, but I know the scene is going to get more and more uncomfortable until it’s excruciating”. I get that it’s probably a brilliant show. But I just can’t handle it.

1 Like

That’s much kinder than me judging the guy as just having a face I could not enjoy comedy to.

I know this isn’t anything new, but fuuuuuuck printers. We’re in the third decade of the 21st century and they still can’t make a printer that consistently works.

Bought an HP wireless LaserJet a couple years ago for two main reasons: 1) The good, basic Brother laser printer I had didn’t have built-in wifi and while I had it connected directly to my router, it wouldn’t reliably work over wifi, and 2) we printed my son’s Bar Mitzvah invitation envelopes and the HP did a fantastic job with them, while the Brother mangled them.

HP wanted me to use the HP Smart app to setup the printer, but at the end of the process, it said my printer wasn’t compatible. Great! Fortunately, I know a thing or two about computers, so I was able to set it up manually with the IP address and all that.

Worked fine for a while on every PC I connected to it, but eventually, every computer except my laptop couldn’t print anymore. No reason. Who cares? It’s a fucking printer, so of course it’s not going to work. So everyone in the house e-mails shit to me to print.

And now yesterday, I had to print out some medical forms so my daughter could play high school sports. Two docs printed fine. Then I went to print the most important ones - the ones I had to take to the doctor to be filled out and signed. Kept getting error notifications. Wouldn’t print. Pressed various buttons on the printer, unplugged it, plugged it back in, nothing. Pressed a button to print out a status report and all it said was that there was something wrong and I had to go to the HP Smart app (!!) to fix it.

So I logged into my HP account, which is fucking stupid, and it told me that my printer didn’t have an internet connection. Two things: 1) It just fucking printed a few minutes ago, and 2) WHY DO I NEED A GODDAMN INTERNET CONNECTION TO PRINT?

(it’s because of the dumb toner program, apparently)

So I rushed to the library, paid to print two pages, then rushed to the doctor’s office so I could get the paperwork signed before the doctor was done for the week. Fuck.

I’m going to reset the printer to factory settings and then redo everything.

3 Likes

Oh, and I even tried to connect the old Brother printer directly to my laptop and that didn’t work.

PC load letter, amirite?

Fuck all printers, but HP printers in particular. Try Brother, brother.

At one point a few years ago, I got so frustrated with our department’s printers (a broken printer during exams is extremely bad times) that I used “likely ability to fix paper jams and other printer issues” as an unspoken criteria for my votes in faculty hiring.

It’s astonishing how little (negative?) progress we’ve made.

1 Like

I have had many a problem with HP inkjet multifunction printers. The Laserjets? Rock Solid.

I’ve had my Brother basic b&w multifunction laser for a billion years that just keeps plugging along.

I’ll only ever get brother and laser printers from here on.

As I said, I did (do) have a Brother, but it didn’t have wifi, which made wifi printing inconsistent (I had it connected to the router via ethernet). Printed great, though, never had jams or anything. Figured getting something new with actual wifi would be better. Was good for a while once I figured out how to set it up manually, but now it’s just hit and miss, mostly miss, and whether or not any given PC in our house will be able to print.

You fuckers. My 2016 Samsung laser printer was working just fine until y’all had this conversation. :stabby:

7 Likes

7 Likes