‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - Gun Violence in America

It’s been a problem for a while. Especially if you want people to be police in, say, San Francisco where the average house price is $1.3 million. And not hard to see how an officer is going to feel disconnected from the city he’s working in - he’s driving a couple of hours each way to go to work.

MM MD

1 Like

that’s part of the struggle. He gets shit on for not hiring more black police officers, but it’s not like you can go force black people (or anyone) to apply for the job.

Looking at it the opposite way as hobbes, the really shitty part is a lot of these smaller cities get the leftovers…people who washed out of training for the larger “cool” departments. For example, a lot of the small cities in the San Fernando valley have their own police departments, often staffed by LAPD rejects. So not only do you get people who don’t actually live there, you get terrible cops (often times they are rejected from the big departments for failing to pass the psych eval…which is fucking terrifying).

1 Like

I don’t exactly blame ‘members of the community’ for not wanting to join the police force. Gotta make you feel like a bit of a traitor teaming up with a bunch of corrupt assholes and borderline white supremacists.

eh, dunno about that. Maybe the very small city of San Fernando. Most of the valley IS in the city of Los Angeles and policed by the LAPD. The far west valley has some small wealthy cities like Calabasas, Agoura Hills, and Thousand Oaks which I doubt have much more problem getting cops than LAPD and other than that you have Burbank, which is large enough I think not to have any big problem either. If you leave the valley and go up to Santa Clarita or out to Simi Valley, I doubt you have much problem.

You may be thinking that North Hollywood, Pacoima, Sylmar, Arleta, Chatsworth, Panorama City, Northridge, Sun Valley, Winnetka, Reseda, Canoga Park, North Hills, Van Nuys etc are all cities, but they aren’t - they are part of the City of Los Angeles.

Also, yeah, it’s a struggle and it calls for more radical solutions, like SF providing affordable housing for city workers (and all the lower income workers on which life in the city depends) and cities having trouble finding Black police officers from their own communities need to actually spend money to develop and train people to make it happen.

1 Like

Have you tried complaining? School boards are one of the more accessible and responsive arms of local government.

1 Like

Overwhelming parent support for this shit in our school district.

Yeah, and we fucking wonder why our kids are overstressed and need anxiety medication.

Gee, I fucking wonder.

2 Likes

In my era it was stranger danger even though the scary people were the ones your parents invited into your house…

1 Like

Sanitized much? Maybe instead of running on gun control to reduce mass shootings, Democrats should run on small arms reductions to prevent rare and unexpected violent critical incidents.

1 Like

Shooting at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, and the take from the right is that the military is run by a bunch of stupid liberal cowards for not allowing everyone on the base to be armed at all times rather than wondering why it is that the military doesn’t allow everyone to be armed at all times.

2 Likes

It would be a fun thought exercise to figure out how much it would cost to give everyone on every base a gun and a clip.

You have strange, morbid ideas of fun.

1 Like

You’re not wrong, but if the right is gonna be like “HOW DO YOH PAY FOR IT” on healthcare then I’d like to know where the money comes from to arm everyone on base. To say nothing of all the guns they want in school —where’s the money for that?

You know enough to know that all military expenses are justified, no matter how high or in return for how little.

2 Likes

Not to make too much light of these consecutive military shootings, but when the President takes a murderer and restores them it sends a message that military members are above the law at all times.

1 Like

For some reason this never comes up when the arguments to arm all civilians everywhere come up after every other shooting.

No, it’s always the same argument: “Mass shooters always target gun-free zones!” (even when it wasn’t a gun free zone). Because people dead in accidents don’t count, and neither do bystanders getting blasted by vigilantes or cops.

the guns for all military on base is just a Cost of Freedom ™

Can’t put a price on freedom* or safety**!

*Unless it’s a freedom the right doesn’t like.

** Or a logical solution for safety, or a scientifically agreed upon danger.