‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - Gun Violence in America

Georgia being number one reminds me that in the 90s in Alabama, Georgia was regularly made fun of as a gun nut state. People would say “did you get your free gun” if you told them you’d recently been to Georgia, for a Braves game or whatever

1 Like

I strongly suspect that this was some kind of racist dig at inner city crime.

1 Like

Ohio is a land of wonder.

https://x.com/whiotv/status/1726627757541466465?s=20

Right. “Accidentally”. Sure

Getting shot in a Walmart ranks up there with ODing in a Taco Bell bathroom as the very worst ways to die in Ohio.

Me: the pizza is late. I’m hungry. I’m going to eat your toes.

2.5 year old granddaughter, doesn’t miss a beat “I’m going to eat your toes.

Knew I was full of it and threw it back at me with emphasis.

So yeah, a 2 year old at Walmart firing off a shot on purpose seems feasible. Her cheap ass Momma wouldn’t spring for the toy she wanted.

Summary

Yes an excuse to brag. I’ve done this with a lot of kids over the years, never imagined a 2yr old throwing it back in my face.

realkid (1)

1 Like

She shot me a grin. No finger but it was implied.

Id say the worst way to die in Ohio is of old age after having lived there your whole life.

12 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/12/04/mass-shootings-record-year/

We did it!

In less than 90 minutes on Sunday afternoon, two 911 calls led police in Texas and Washington to two mass shootings that pushed the nation to a gruesome milestone.

They were the 37th and 38th shootings this year in which four or more victims were killed, the highest number of mass killings in any year since at least 2006. Last year’s 36 was the previous record.

1 Like

13 Likes

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1732429785903583584

1 Like

Bullet fragments struck 10-year-old Leann Garcia on the nose and mouth. Blood dripped onto her clothes as her friend, Ailyn Ramos, held her and tried to keep her from screaming out in pain.

“If I die, I love you,” Leann whispered to Ailyn.

“As long as you’re in here with me, you’re not going to die,” Ailyn later recalled responding in an interview with the news organizations.

Holy shit

alright I can’t read this story anymore, that’s enough for me

Yeah. I live nearby off University Center. I locked my doors and such but worried about friends who work at UNLV

4 Likes

FYI this week’s New Yorker magazine has quite an interesting article about a school shooter from the late 90s who has been in prison since.

1 Like

My sister works up at the UNLV Med School, she’s fine, but our family group chat was blowing up for a while.

She’s got a lot of faculty friends who work at the main campus who are still on lockdown.

5 Likes

Their mom was my HS spanish teacher. Met daughter at a school event and played against Kip in freshmen football. Day of Thurston shooting was most surreal day of my life. Was in Spanish class when they announced what happened.

Guess im lucky he went to the school across town instead of mine.

Cant believe 0 lessons have been learned since then.

8 Likes

It’s actually worse than that. In the late 90s school shootings were justifiably treated as national disasters. Bill Clinton flew out there and gave a speech. It would be practically a full time job for the President to visit all communities traumatized by mass shootings now. It’s not the case that zero lessons have been learned since the 90s, the lessons learned are that Republicans value power and tax cuts more than human lives and that the gun lobby’s propaganda is stronger than reason.

2 Likes

I never heard of this story before. Canada news really didn’t filter into the US much pre-internet.

1 Like