‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - Gun Violence in America

I’ll never forget hearing about it, it was so shocking and horrific.

I think it highlights the differences between Canada and the US pretty starkly, there was immediate action in Parliament to institute new gun control measures and mark the date to reflect on violence against women. We still remember it today. Even the worst mass shootings in the US now fade from the public consciousness after just a few years with no action at all.

I wonder if such a massacre would have moved the needle if it had happened before the American body politic started to rot in the 90s.

Yeah, it’s been over 20 years since I was in University, but in the late 90s our university’s Engineering department still had an annual remembrance ceremony. The Montreal shooting really shook Canadians.

I wonder if such a massacre would have moved the needle if it had happened before the American body politic started to rot in the 90s.

Almost definitely not. There were school shootings in the US all through the 20th century. In just the 90s there were 5 before Columbine that involve more than 10 people shot.

1 Like

Shooting at a Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic.

Everybody okay, @superuberbob ?

good lord, those photos

https://x.com/visegrad24/status/1737859624697741738?s=20

Sounds like 4 dead, some 20 wounded, and he shot himself when the cops showed up (not confirmed).

Oh ok, that explains the police presence. I’ve been walking around Prague for most of the day and it was a little concerning. The relative giving us a mini tour around town received multiple calls from family members to check on us. Police shutdown Charles Bridge and I had to take a zoomed in photo of the east tower. Notice the red in the sign in the bottom right? That’s from :rotating_light:

3 Likes

I’m good. Was taking a nap and woke up to see a link from my girlfriend about it. Thanks for your concern folks.

It’s pretty jarring. Mass shootings just aren’t a thing here despite having some pretty loose gun laws compared to the rest of Europe.

To update the count, 11 people dead including the shooter though whether the police shot him or not is unknown. Numerous others have been injured (number is unclear but probably somewhere in the 20s).

16 Likes

What made the shooting worse was the police evacuated the wrong building at the beginning of the shooting.

It’s in Czech but Google Translate can switch it to English for you.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/FOX4/status/1737978917116387412

The bigger news here than the murder of a 14 year old, is she is being evicted for having a gun. But Texas made it illegal to prevent a person from owning a gun in their home/apartment.

She’s black though. That trumps other laws.

1 Like

Mmm

I think even the MAGA folks are on her side for this one. Maybe?

Is someone going to need to turn this into the Anakin/Padme meme for me?

"War is peace

Freedom.is slavery"

Flarda

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/12/27/florida-teen-shooting-christmas-presents/

5 Likes

when the elevator doors opened on the fifth floor, one of the men opened fire on the other and the other shot back

That’s pretty much the whole story.

“Two men go up, both go down”

3 Likes

How does something this rare happen in like half of all action movies?

1 Like

Welcome to the party, pal!

Die Hard w/ a Vengeance (3 min clip, gory)

Earliest example I can think of is Sean Connery in Diamonds are Forever.