New Pandemics lookout thread

Case fatality rates of larger outbreaks have been over 80%.

:vince3:

Too deadly to spread probably yeah?

you would think so

“New Pandemics” is my next band name.

3 Likes

marburg spreads via bodily fluids, imagine something like that going airborne

I like their more obscure early stuff.

Some good disease news:

1 Like

Marburg is definitely on the short list of most terrifying viruses to have potentially spread.

That’d be great, especially with tick populations on the rise. Now do a vaccine for the meat allergy caused by Lone Star Ticks, scientists!

1 Like

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/new-animal-derived-langya-virus-infects-35-in-eastern-china/ar-AA10xfl8

New viruses emerge left and right! :queen_not_amused:

Scientists are still trying to identify exactly what this virus is. It has been referred to as tomato flu because of the painful red blisters it produces on the body, and it is very contagious. Children are particularly vulnerable because it spreads easily through close contact, such as via nappies, touching unclean surfaces or putting things in mouths.

200w

3 Likes

1 Like

He added that the six patients have had a series of tests for “Covid, cold, influenza of both types A + and B +, Hantavirus and 25 other germs” but no virus has yet been identified.

Well that ain’t good. Be nice to know what the other 25 they tested for were; was Legionnaires’ disease one of them? Maybe it’s a weird rhinovirus they don’t have a test for? Everything I’m reading about rhinovirus right now suggests that it’s difficult to test for.

BREAKING NEWS: An outbreak of stupid has been reported in USA#1.

(Rimshot)

2 Likes

That’s endemic to that region.

6 Likes

Sadly, there is no herd immunity for stupid. Even those who are vaxxed and boosted suffer from second hand stupid.

1 Like