National Basketball Association - 2022/23 Season (Part 1)

Milwaukee didn’t have much choice. Have to do everything possible to placate Giannis in this day and age.

No offense intended (well actually some offense intended), but you don’t what you are talking about. Those in the know consider Jrue to be the best defender at a guard position in the league and one of the best defenders in the league period… happened to just listen to a Reddick/Durant podcast earlier today where they discussed this.

Oh i guess that’s a response to the time i wrote that he’s not an elite defender?

Quality post. “Those in the know”. You must have been a special child

I was half posting in jest but in what world is an elite defender (since you apparently knew that) that is also a good offensive player not worth a max contract?

I wrote this here when they traded him and this is the most pefect example. People were sleeping on Jrue forever and now every drooler is like “hEs tHE bEsT dEfeNdEr”.

Sure, he’s awesome as i mentioned. He will now cost the bucks 40m, 2 first round picks and 2 swaps and he’ll be 35 when the contract ends.

Sure, and what’s the alternative? Pay him less then Gordon Hayward just got on the open market?

Too many players get the max - as long as shit teams keep throwing money at players that don’t deserve it then other teams will be forced to do the same.

He’s an elite on the ball defender. Bucks are a worse defensive team this year than last year or the year before. Pelicans were never a good defensive team while the Lakers with Davis are the best in the league.

There’s a limit to what a great on-ball PG defender can do.

Durant and Reddick addressed analysis like this. Putting what they said together with what I have read from Zach Lowe on the Bucks specifically this season what they would say is that in previous years, the Bucks used game theory optimal defense for the regular season that was not tough defense in the playoffs at all.

In the playoffs, not only can other defenses be better than the Bucks scheme against playoff offenses generally but a massive part of good playoff defense is just constantly changing your scheme so that the offense can’t just find the weakest point of your defense and mercilessly exploit it… something that isn’t nearly as big a deal in the regular season when you are just playing teams one game at a time w/ much lower stakes. But the Bucks coach just had his one system that he used all the time because it was “the best” and other teams would exploit that in the playoffs.

So… the Bucks coach finally woke up to this, and is spending this regular season playing with different defenses even if they are not “regular season optimal” so that they will have a wide variety of defensive cards to play in the postseason. So no surprise that their defense is worse this regular season as they are working on new schemes on the fly.

Jrue’s defense and the way they evaluate defense is actually the first thing they talk about in this podcast if you are interested:

I am just glad jj finally landed on a good team.

Many people are saying he’s an elite defender and nobody knows more about elite defenders than me.

1 Like

raul neto with the missed layup followed by a flop to lose the game

https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1379242207148916741

https://twitter.com/worldwidewob/status/1379231808383037443?s=21

Best pound for pound player ever?

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1380018610693758980

2 Likes

He’s no TJ McConnell.

1 Like

Paul is somehow underrated, I guess because postseason. He’s such a dick though so I prefer to pretend he is as bad as my brother thinks he is.

he’s extremely underrated. that thunder team traded westbrook and pg and he still won more games the next year.

people also forget that he’s 36 years old now and still turned a lottery team into potentially #1 team in the league (standing-wise of coure)

It’s insane he’s been an actual star on 5 different teams now. Has anyone else ever done that?

I cant think of anyone. Most elite players seem to cap out at 3 teams (LeBron, Charles Barkley, Pippen come to mind). Some players were stars for up to three teams then had some short stints at the career end where they weren’t really stars (like Moses Malone and Shaq).

Maybe found one!