National Basketball Association - 2022/23 Season (Part 1)

Strongly disagree

1 Like

LOL

Until a year or two ago, Ainge had drafted more players that died than made an ASG.

WHY IS THIS LAKERS SUNS GAME AT 10:30!!! PAIN.

Some good data. I’m not saying Ainge is terrible. He’s just horribly overrated.

e class="onebox allowlistedgeneric" data-onebox-src="https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/3/2/22308624/danny-ainge-boston-celtics">
The Ringer – 2 Mar 21

You love Masai, right? Who do you think has drafted more players that have made ASGs over the last decade, Masai or Ainge? It’s a weird metric to go by, but it’s your metric.

If KG doesn’t get hurt, that team wins more titles (heck if Kendrick Perkins doesn’t blow out his knee in the finals, they win that year). If Gordon Hayward doesn’t snap his leg 5 minutes into his Boston career, that generation looks different too. It’s not an excuse, injuries happen - but they should certainly factor into a GMs review. Ainge never really tanked and kept the team competitive for like 20 years in a city that athletes don’t care for. That’s a great job.

1 year of those guys isn’t worth 6+ years of Jaylen. And he’s still improving.

The coach interviews at quarter starts are terrific. Like who is the person that’s interested in this bullshit Q&A.

Why are Denver and Phoenix even playing tonight when they already won the most important game?

6 Likes

I mean, they signed Kemba (LOL) and Hayward (edit and Horford) to max deals. It’s not Memphis. Athletes seem to like playing for the Pats, Sox and Bruins just fine.

I’d take at least half a dozen GMs over Ainge. And I’d wager the place he takes over this summer won’t make the finals under his watch.

Rolling over assets and taking advantage of Billy King isn’t hard. Going all in is.

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1397755711849857026

3 Likes

You think Jaylen can be the best player on a championship team? Because those guys can (could).

Boston cares about dynasties. They’re not going to make deals that create a one-year title window.

NBA rigging it

List ‘em. Bet it’ll include lots of guys that only know how to tank, or guys in cities that Lebron decided to live in.

Dame sucks

I don’t know. I know in 2018 no one would have predicted how good 2021 Jaylen Brown is. Danny Ainge knew.

Also - everyone - please notice the mission creep here from jwax - we went from “lol Ainge” to “I’m not saying he’s bad” to “only a half dozen people in the world are better than him at his job”.

Jwax has realized Ainge was really good at his job.

Lol Ainge

2 Likes

I’m at the gym, but I’ve been pretty consistent for years saying how overrated Ainge is. He took advantage of Billy King (WOAT trades) and has been very fortunate that stars wanted to play for the most storied franchise in the league. He’s a below average to bad drafter. He’s very good at accumulating assets, but never had the stones to pull the trigger on Butler, PG, Beal, AD, Kawhi, etc.

Nice to see another white guy with no track record at personnel decisions getting a crack at the Boston GM job though.

Drafting Tatum while trading back was masterful. No argument there.

1 Like

I meant terrible by the way. But good point!

1 Like