Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

The time Stone Cold asked Cameron what her favorite wrestling match was on Tough Enough : r/SquaredCircle

I haven’t really been aware of his existence, but it looks like I tend to like the stuff he has writing credits on.

Pretty much see war stuff the same way.

1. Large-scale scenes of people shooting at each other or otherwise engaging in field combat are inherently boring to me and put me in a space of, “Just tell me what happened. Give me the cliffs on who died and how it affected the state of the story.”
  2. There just doesn’t seem to be a ton of new material to mine from. I agree that Saving Private Ryan blocked out the sun on the standard themes of war films, and many are just doing a lesser job of significantly similar things.

I do owe Paths of Glory another watch. Watched it once 15 years or so ago, loved it, haven’t returned to it for whatever reason.

1 Like

Nolan loved James Bond movies, really loved them, until he was big enough to get offered to do one.

Try the CBS show Person of Interest. I think it’s probabably Jonathan’s best work and is very accessible.

1 Like

First video game I’ve been dying to play in quite some time. Sadly not coming to Switch.

1 Like

Game looks amazing but I think they missed the whole point of Robocop.

It’s funny you say that because after so many terrible RoboCop movies and video games, I felt like this one finally DID get the point of RoboCop. What do you think they missed? No shade from me just curious.

It’s so violent. The punch loool. It was originally supposed to come out around now but got bumped to November. Can’t wait!

1 Like

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

I guess it’s a movie? It’s more a like single television episode.

I won’t get into the plot or heavy description of what the short film is like - it’s Wes Anderson. It’s VERY Wes Anderson. It was also very enjoyable. All fast-paced dialogue, presented like a stage play, probably more so than his other stuff. Wonderful cast, most of whom play a couple characters. My wife possibly hadn’t seen any Wes Anderson stuff since Tennenbaums and had it in her head that he wasn’t really her cup of tea, but she said she loved this.

2 Likes

The punch violence is hilarious lololol

I also love when Robo picks someone up and throws them so hard into another person that they both just fucking die.

Game developers must have been paying attention to what worked so well about RoboCop in MK11.

I loved this first short but couldn’t get into the rest in the series. But I also don’t usually enjoy Wes Anderson.

If you’re in the Bay area Oct 25 Wednesday, there’s a free screening of Every Body as it continues its slow but sure journey to getting Julie Cohen her next Oscar nomination. I wish I was close enough to go!!

Here’s my interview with her from last month.

Lol, Baraka is such a jobber

1 Like

Interstellar

Loved the first hour or so. Second half got too silly and outright dumb in parts for me.

It’s ambitious and deserves credit for that. Plus it looked great.

But I can’t put it anywhere near a pedestal with all-time great space movies like 2001 and Gravity. I’ll give it a 7/10.

2 Likes

In the spirit of perfect space movies, I am awarding If You Were the Last a perfect 10/10.

Adam and Jane are three years into a NASA mission that has gone very wrong. Adrift in their broken-down space shuttle with little hope of rescue, they argue over whether they’re better off spending their remaining days as friends or something more.

Heartfelt, funny, and the paper mache aesthetic is divine. I made it halfway through the trailer before I just put this on and was well rewarded.

Killers of the Flower Moon delivers hard. 4.5/5 (probably would give it 8.5/10, so perhaps on the low end of 4.5/5, but still). Despite its length, I look forward to rewatching it in the future so that I can better untangle all of the plot points that occasionally confused me as I tried to keep them straight.

Stylistic critique that doesn’t really give away substantive plot but is still definitely a spoiler:

The manner that the epilogue was delivered in at the end was a weird, bad choice, including but not limited to Scorsese forcing himself onto the screen for it, but I didn’t care enough about it to cause it to downgrade my overall opinion of the film.

2 Likes

Boy, I liked Gravity a whole lot, but not nearly enough to just casually lump it in with 2001.

2 Likes

i’m not sure how i would have ended it, and yes, the switch-up at the end was weird. doesn’t matter though, great movie.

how long was the single shot of leo in the courtroom? like a 3 minute closeup? he’s so good.

if anyone says “yeah but it didn’t feel like a 3 1/2 hour movie” is lying lmao. i wouldn’t say it was slow at all, but it certainly was long.

Yeah, there’s any number of 3+ hour movies I like, but I don’t think there’s a single example where I relate to people saying that. Still, I’ve got no complaints with the length since I was never bored at any point and was mentally prepared for a marathon watch.

1 Like

Did you see it on a big screen??? I loved it so much I brought a few snacks to the gym cardio theater to see it again on their big screen projector. I hope everyone burning calories on the treadmills didn’t hate me too much with every crunch of food.

Really a marvel of sight, sound, and storytelling well deserving of being up there with 2001. I daresay the fact that it’s equally deep yet a lot more accessible means it may even deserve a 100th a point higher than the competition.

Here’s the Corridor Crew explaining how they did a bunch of the shots. I definitely couldn’t have picked out which parts were CGI.

I have seen neither on the big screen. Would welcome the chance at either one if they do a short drop back into theaters.

Unfortunately the AMC A-List package is usually excluded from cashing in on return viewings of older movies, but for some I’d be willing to pay out of pocket.

1 Like