Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Damn that’s crazy, for such a high profile movie…here there are many options (incl for free via my local library)
(Also im sure it goes without saying but it you reallly want to see it its easy to find via “other” means)

1 Like

So, umm, The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar was strange. I’m not sure how to describe it, other than it seemed more like a stage play than a movie, where the characters were often talking directly, knowingly to the audience. That sounds really weird, but I can’t think of a better way to describe it. Visually interesting. Worth watching, but probably would not watch again. I’m surprised by the very high RT ratings, but I have to admit it was nice to just put something on and be done in under 40 minutes.

3 Likes

Fwiw, the remake is one of those rare “hey, this isnt as culturaly significant but still hits on a lot of great themes and fun times” remakes. I have it in my top 5% all time of remakes

1 Like

Its become a meme for some reason so is getting a lot of undue praise

1 Like

I’ve never watched 5 minutes of nfl in my life but enjoyed Kelce. It’s a pretty good documentary about a pretty cool family.

But I assume I should watch the original first, right?

I have an ongoing struggle with this regarding All Quiet on the Western Front. I intend to watch the 1930 original, and it feels weird to watch the most recent one before I’ve done that even though obviously it’s inevitable that they will be wildly different from a visual standpoint.

1 Like

Ehhhhh, probably? I love the remake, and watch it in place of the original in a rewatch. That being said the original is one of the most influential horror movies ever made.

If the desire to see it hits too hard, I guess I would theoretically cave and buy the $15 DVD. But I imagine I’ll spend a long while being stubborn before it gets to that point.

I think in some ways you really can’t answer this until you’ve seen them both in either order.

Like I’m not shitting on the original Ocean’s 11 to say you’re golden if you watch the remake first (and skip right to Ocean’s 8).

A ratings graph shouldn’t be a bell curve centered on 3/5 though, should it?

Of course, it would if the films you watched were completely random, but you’re self-selecting by watching movies that you expect to be good. This is a completely normal thing that everyone outside of movie critics should be doing, but it should result in a negatively skewed distribution.

I’d say everyone ITT should have more 5 stars than 1 stars. Otherwise you’re doing a poor job at selecting movies to watch.

3 Likes

I saw The Creator today and would maybe give it 3.5 out of 5. My main complaints are that the tropes are pretty standard and it isn’t that exciting. It seemed like a mashup a District 9 and Elysium. There were some weird needle drops too. Trying to class it up with Claire de Lune, and then a very out of place Everything in its Right Place by Radiohead.

1 Like

Hard disagree on Jennifer’s Body, that movie is a bop imho.

2 Likes

Of course. That part was tongue-in-cheek for that reason. I’m pretty happy with my distribution because it does fill in the average-and-above part of a bell curve nicely.

1 Like

Why does that histogram have 10 bars?

Half-star is a rating. Offers a direct translation to a 10-point scale by being the translated 1/10.

1 Like

Seems reasonable. It just didn’t work for me, was sort of Avatar without the quality (hat tip to Sean Fennessey for illuminating that point), so I was 2.5/5, but there was nothing so aggressively bad about it that I would expect it to get panned.

Am I just hopelessly nostalgia-biased, or is it a fundamental truth of the universe that we will never make another movie the likes of Ghostbusters or Back to the Future?

1 Like

I’d guess the only reason we like those is because of nostalgia. So no nothing made now will give you the same feeling you get when you watch them.

1 Like

Agree with you. Movies like BttF are still being made, but you need to be in a certain era of your life to experience (and then remember) a movie like that. The movies being made today are as good and some are even better. It’s us that has changed.

Also Ghostbusters the movie is not good, but the cartoon and toys were cool.

What on earth.

3 Likes