Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I’d strongly recommend reading the book before watching the movie 2001.

1 Like

I only investigated that book and the sequel after discovering the movies :pensive:

Did you read the sequel?? I am so curious about how that was received by someone who was already a fan.

Hyped to see this.

Read and watched the sequel a million years ago as a teen, don’t remember anything about it tbh.

1 Like

It is hard to explain what makes 2001 so great

2001: A Space Odyssey movie review (1968) | Roger Ebert.

But my man Ebert does it best here

3 Likes

If ever the day comes when any of you want to watch a significantly worse version of The Big Short, Dumb Money might be just the ticket. Totally mailed in. I try to think of compliments and all I come up with is that the source material makes for an engaging enough story that I didn’t get overly bored at any point. 4/10, do not recommend.

Yea I skipped it because I felt like the trailer didn’t leave anything left for the movie

Holy smokes, No One Will Save You lives up to the hype, A+ way to start Spooky Season.

Thoughts after watching David Gordon Green’s Halloween (2018) reboot :
pretty good, might be seen as pointless fan-service (so many citations from the original) but I’m a fan so I’ll allow it. Has a good title drop (tbh anything with that score would work on me), and several decent kills (in particular the one with the garden light going on and off was great). I will check out the sequels.
(One thing that rubbed me the wrong way is that it pretends that “Halloween II” doesn’t exist, but then has a few scenes that are basically lifted from it)

Thoughts after then re-watching Carpenter’s Halloween (1978) for the first time in 20 years : maybe the best movie of all time ? Perfect shot composition throughout to sell the feeling of a lurking threat, the idea of the white mask as a menacing dot in the background is so great, (and of course that score on top of it !), brilliant in its simplicity, just the perfect way to make a horror movie. In retrospect, all these sequels/reboots/remakes that I enjoyed over the years don’t even come close.
(also I forgot that Michael spends so much time following the girls by car in the first part. this means you can add this one to the long list of movies which are partly “Vertigo” remakes lol)

2 Likes

For a few years now I’ve been watching random sci-fi movies on Amazon Prime or the SciFi channel. Last week I watched the (unbeknownst to me) teen sci-fi movies Voyagers and Valerian: City of 1,000 planets. For former was mostly what I expected but not bad. The latter was pretty entertaining actually – extremely ambitious world-building.

One low-budget movie I really remember liking was Europa Report on Prime.

Tonight I watched Horizon Line, which was a lot better than I expected. Spoiler though: It’s not really a sci-fi movie. But I like that SciFi channel does that sometimes, so you never know what to expect.

2 Likes

I loved Horizon Line. It’s an excellent “trapped in a deadly situation” movie.

Great triple feature about people wondering if they should just jump:

Horizon Line
Frozen
Fall

Would be surprised if you haven’t already seen Frozen.

https://tubitv.com/movies/348935?utm_source=justwatch-feed&tracking=justwatch-feed

This is an amazing trilogy to discuss once you’re done. This first one especially played a big part in people believing it was fine to just make legasequels that ignore the original sequels.

1 Like

Let it go?

4 Likes

It would be hilarious to cut that song over the trailer.

Basically this combined with a Hallmark Christmas movie. Big City businesswoman, bohunk waiting for her back in small town (island).

And as far as the ending:

They really never did resolve if she was going to give up her career to live on the island, or he was going to suck it up and move to London. I’ve lived on a Caribbean island and met a lot of “permanent gap year” people. They tend to be alcoholics, because there’s not much else to do. A small island can only support so many bars and dive shops.

1 Like

I thought dumb money was pretty good. Not great but entertaining enough. Big Short light.

1 Like

Same here. Just got back from it.

Although I didn’t like it, I do like the year that America Ferrera is having between this and Barbie. Her performance was the most enjoyable thing about Dumb Money IMO.

Believability is an odd critique given it’s all true. It was heightened a little maybe but if you watch clips of the guy it’s pretty faithful. He was a character.