Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

1 Like

Black Hawk Down is as good as they said, but it also kinda fell apart at the end once the action was over and the dialogue resumed. Good action scenes that felt like the opening of Saving Private Ryan extended for two hours.

2 Likes

what if in Kramer vs Kramer they didnā€™t just get a divorce? what if because dustin hoffman is such a people pleaser and an enabler, he tries to manage living with a nutty wife? (dustin hoffman has been replaced with peter falk and theyā€™re calling it A Woman Under the Influence (1974))

this is one of these where thereā€™s no fancy camerawork, thereā€™s definitely no special effects, itā€™s all characters in rooms talking and reacting and i thought it was excellent. peter falk i already loved and on top of that was surprised at how good he was. the titular female lead was john cassavetesā€™ wife and i see no nepotism here, she nailed it.

2.5 hours and iā€™d watch it again, unlike the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford. i saw multiple people itt hyping it so i went ahead and gave it a try. 40 minutes in i had to take a break because it was so boring i was like, gasping for air. and when i paused and saw there was 2 hours of this movie still left on the table, i laughed derisively and turned the tv off. the next day i took another stab at it and again tapped out after about 40 minutes. but later on i came back more determined, ā€œitā€™s gotta get betterā€ i told myself. but man, for me it wasnā€™t until the last 40 minutes that i started enjoying it a little. and the last act was so good it didnā€™t leave such a bad taste after it was all over so i donā€™t hate the movie overall but no way am i watching that again, iā€™m watching a woman under the influence (1974)

4 Likes

Marty (1955)

For about 30 years Iā€™ve felt shame for not having seen this movie, not because itā€™s a Best Picture Winner - though thatā€™s a good reason too - but because in the movie Quiz Show (really good movie that I fear is kind of lost to time, only maybe buoyed a bit by the fact that it was a BP nominee in its year), they make such a big deal about how crazy it is for a long-running quiz show champion to not know the answer to a crucial question on the show when the answer is obviously Marty.

Anyway, itā€™s a good movie. Kind of an odd Best Picture winner to me - itā€™s a pretty surface-level movie that doesnā€™t say a lot - but it certainly has its charms. Thereā€™s a scene early on that I loved so much that I built up some high hopes for exactly how good the movie was going to be, but it didnā€™t exactly hit that high again, and things were a bit uneven. And the final act is honestly just too rushed. I noticed toward the end that it only had 15 minutes left, and I thought, ā€œWTF? How is that possible?ā€ And there was not a satisfying answer to that question. Still, Iā€™m getting too far into criticism about a movie I did enjoy. Ernest Borgnine puts in a very nice performance as the titular Marty.

3.5/5

2 Likes

True, but if you look at the other nominees that year they werenā€™t particularly good either.

Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing - IMDB 6.4/10
Mister Roberts - 7.6/10
Picnic - 7.0/10
The Rose Tattoo - 6.9/10

I havenā€™t done a year by year evaluation of IMDB ratings of Best Picture noms, so I donā€™t know if this is unusually low. It does seem like Marty kind of won by default.

I notice that Night of the Hunter was released the same year, which would be a more credible Best Picture by modern norms.

1 Like

Yeah, I havenā€™t even heard of those other ones. Night of the Hunter has been on my radar for a while but I just havenā€™t gotten to it yet.

Good movie with an all time great performance by Mitchum, IMO.

Overall, most critics definitely like ā€œBeetlejuice Beetlejuice,ā€ and with several of them chalking it up to Burtonā€™s vision for the sequel. /Filmā€™s Jacob Hall got a chance to see the movie early and offered up his own take: ā€œā€˜Beetlejuice Beetlejuiceā€™ is a long-awaited return to form for Tim Burton. Between Michael Keatonā€™s indelible performance and the hordes of practical puppets and mountains of old school VFX wizardry, this is a sequel that truly understands what made the original feel so special while building on it in fun, inventive ways.ā€

3 Likes

nvm this guy is a fucking menace

Your question about the filmography, I thought was good for sure.

Reviews coming in on slingshot seem to confirm my feelings from Monday.

Iā€™m not following this post. My question about filmography?

Oh I meant you asked about the cinematography the other day

1 Like

https://x.com/1SpencerGarrett/status/1828670853527281710?t=c2aeXhibxU5XM02URnwMHg&s=19

2 Likes

What in the world lol

1 Like

Ah ya. Giovanni Ribisi killed the cinematography

1 Like

havenā€™t had much time to watch movies lately, was starting to feel a little downā€¦managed to squeeze in a Mulholland drive rewatchā€¦now Iā€™m good for at least a couple monthsā€¦peak cinema

5 Likes

Triangle (2009)

One of the most interesting brain teaser twisty horror films Iā€™ve ever seen. Itā€™s a wild, weird and crazy ride.

Totally worth seeing.

Grade: B+

2 Likes

I just rewatched this!! Free on Tubi for anyone else curious. Itā€™s in the same kind of genre as films like Time Crimes and Predestination. I especially liked the creepy ending.

1 Like

Oh cool. It on Amazon in Canada.

Totally worth a watch. Puzzle movies, when done well, are so fun. When done poorly they are torture.

1 Like

Have you seen Timecrimes? Has a similar vibe, maybe more sci-fi/thriller leaning than Triangle, I find it a little tighter overall, but both give me a similar vibe and amount of fun.

3 Likes