Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I have no doubt. Even as someone who has put in fairly aggressive efforts to fill the resume gaps (albeit not always consistently), there’s a lot left.

1 Like

Star Wars

1 Like
1 Like

6 Likes

My top five westerns are No Country for Old Men, Dances with Wolves, The Proposition, Maverick, True Grit (2010)

Runners up include Brokeback Mountain, Tombstone, The Quick and the Dead

Absolutely.

1 Like

Is Top Gun a Western?? Makes you think.

I don’t think of No Country as a Western. Western has to be a period piece imo. TWBB is debatable.

Mine would be:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Unforgiven
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Silverado
Dances with Wolves

1 Like

I once presented at a conference to argue it’s actually a neo-noir.

2 Likes

Yeah anything not a period piece AND does not contain skilled gunplay is not “a western” IMO. Recently critically acclaimed disqualifications: Killers of the Flower Moon, Power of the Dog.

My favorites (not trying to be objective since there are so many early 60s westerns and below I haven’t seen):

Unforgiven
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
For a Few Dollars More
Once Upon a Time in the West
Tombstone

Obviously valuing style over historical significance here.

Not sure where I rank it in the big scheme of things but I watched Old Henry a few months back and it’s damn good. Tim Blake Nelson was built for westerns.

1 Like

Contact (1997)

Still one of the best films about science and religion. Great script, great acting. Great film.

It’s a toss up between this and Arrival as greatest first contact film ever.

Grade: A

6 Likes

I like contact a lot, need to watch it again, always liked the scene where she ends up on the beach a lot

1 Like

I think the only time I saw Contact was in the theater. Should definitely revisit that one.

1 Like

Westerns can also be noir, like Bad Day at Blackrock.

2 Likes

https://x.com/EllenFWalker/status/1824756861096136864?t=qRQNQQndVDp7LNGtKRKiHw&s=19

3 Likes

There is this guy John Ford you should check out

1 Like

https://x.com/Nateorious10/status/1824902666851602652?t=s1LtwflG18TfY2XzoFawig&s=19

1 Like

Blink Twice getting great reviews

1 Like