Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I’d say in general they do a good job of picking movies that are entertainingly bad. There have been cases where I’ve deeply regretted the effort, and some where I started a movie and said “nope, can’t do it”. I recently bailed out of Wild Mountain Thyme, which just looked boring as fuck, and Love on a Leash, which had production values that were worse than A Talking Cat, which says a whole lot if you’ve seen the latter. But mostly I really enjoy the experience.

I mean, that’s a movie that somebody made.

I just found out the big W from It’s a Mad Mad World is a place I go hiking all the time. Very exciting. I loved this movie when I was a kid. I’m sure it’s terrible now. I have no plans to rewatch and sully the memory.

https://www.newsfromme.com/articles-such/the-big-w/

It’s a little the worse for wear these days.

2 Likes
1 Like

Nah you’ll still enjoy most of it

see above

imagine if trump reacted like this:

4 Likes

What would change?

“Oh no, Trump used a child as a human shield, guess I gotta vote for Joe Biden”

Said no one ever

Smart!

1 Like

Pulling a Don Draper by going to the movies on a workday. Got there way too early, and then the other people who were here leave the theater with one of them telling me the air conditioning is broken. Feels fine to me :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

hell yeah, one of the greatest workday moves in the book, 2nd only to going to a baseball game

3 Likes

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1812869450615677382?t=VbSNEtK-SyEa6lnsuGpuJA&s=19

Longlegs is overhyped
3/5 for me
Hard to say more without getting into spoilers

1 Like

Letterboxd reviews deliver sometimes.

4 Likes

Goodfellas is my favorite movie of all time.

2 Likes

I almost watched it again last night. I am now a big fan.

Y’all…

Tell me I’m not alone 1) as a True Lies fan 2) Avatar is Not Very Good

(I think True Lies is decent, FWIW, particularly as directors’ therapy sessions masquerading as mainstream movies go.)

1 Like

I remember liking it ok. But not enough that I’d ever rewatch it if it wasn’t for the rewatchables.

Maybe I’m just in a bad mood because of Trump, but I didn’t really enjoy Twister or the Rewatchables on it.

1 Like

finally got around to watching the 2005 pride&prejudice (despite all gender stereotype, it took over a year to convince my gf to watch it with me), was very enjoyable

Seeing movies like these 20 years after release is great because every actor is familiar. tom wambsgans as Mr. Darcy is such perfect casting, I laughed every time he appeared on screen to make a brooding face in the first hour.
(I feel like the movie loses a little steam once both leads start smiling more, the romantic part, while still enjoyable, is not quite as good as the comedy)

I also realized I haven’t seen Keira Knightley in anything recently, even though she used to be in so many movies. (looking at her bio she still seems somewhat active, so it might just be me)

2 Likes

True Lies is great and I never saw or will see Avatar so i can dig the take.

1 Like

Indeed. It’s one of those movies that punches way above it’s weight. If the tone and performances aren’t exactly correct, then it would be a terrible movie.

Avatar is an interesting comparison, because it’s an objectively bad movie on things we should care about (flimsy plot, light weight themes, pedestrian acting) but it is a “good” movie solely on production values. I can’t say I didn’t enjoy it.

1 Like