Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Is a cinephile closer to a film buff or a movie lover tho :thinking:

I think the question is, suppose someone describes themselves as a film buffā€“whatā€™s the movie with the lowest likelihood that they havenā€™t seen it (regardless of whether they liked it)?

I think Pulp Fiction is a good guess, slightly better than Shawshank. I can imagine some film snob being like, ā€œOh, the Stephen King adaption? That kind of thing never really interested me.ā€ But would a self-described film buff say that they never had a desire to watch Pulp Fiction?

If I were in this scenario and was going to be executed if my guess was wrong, I think Iā€™d go for something slightly more broadly popular than Pulp Fiction, but still highly regarded with a respected director: Minority Report.

Edit: I overlooked econ saying that it was a man, which makes me think The Dark Knight is a safer choice. I was intentionally going for a male/female friendly movie at first.

1 Like

My sides at that spoiler lol

Cinephile skews more art house, foreign, and B&W imo

I didnā€™t use the term ā€œmovie loverā€ because then I think the best answers are something like Avatar or Star Wars

1 Like

I may be misunderstanding the question, but there are a LOT of movies Iā€™d expect/assume a film buff/cinephile to have seen. But isnā€™t the most obvious answer The Godfather?

3 Likes

I considered that but wondered if it might be considered both too old and too old fashioned for part of the demo

1 Like

Pulp Fiction wouldnā€™t be one of my first 100 guesses. Almost certainly a cinephile over 40 would have seen that at a theatre, but it was a very zeitgeisty film that hasnā€™t aged particularly well. Certainly important and influential but a lot of the work it spawned is not good.

If you are 30 and call yourself a film buff but have not seen Kayne, Vertigo, Godfather, Rules of the Game and so on, I would roll my eyes a bit. But Pulp Fiction is whatever imo.

1 Like

Three hours long is a real filter for some poor unknowing souls, even among film buffs. Also it was released before the birth of everyone in the sample group, so none of them could have experienced it when it was new. Granted that most people arenā€™t going around calling themselves ā€œfilm buffs,ā€ but itā€™s a disturbing number of people who havenā€™t seen The Godfather.

1 Like

The Godfather

2 Likes

The length and how long ago it was made are reasonable reasons for the average film enjoyer to skip The Godfather. But any movie that is commonly on top 10 all-time movies lists should be required viewing for anyone who considers themselves a film buff. Iā€™d say the same thing about other movies like Raging Bull, Citizen Kane, 2001, Seven Samurai, etc.

3 Likes

In other news I just noticed that Cuba Gooding Jr is in the barber chair in the first barbershop scene in Coming to America.

2 Likes

I like the Shawshank and Pulp Fiction guesses.

So Iā€™ll add two movies not mentioned yet: Forrest Gump and Toy Story

1 Like

was thinking along the same lines as this. anything by Hitchcock too might also be a good barometer.

If weā€™re staying in the 25-45 age range that econ specified, I think you all are underweighting recency. Which make me update my pick to The Social Network.

1 Like

Here are the most watched movies on Letterboxd. I think the user base there is on average younger than what I proposed

https://collider.com/most-watched-movies-all-time-on-letterboxd/

1 Like

Yeahā€¦Iā€™m really going to have to get around to seeing 2001 one of these days.

1 Like

Toy Story would be a pretty perfect choice if the age range was slightly different, but with part of the sample being high schoolers when the movie came out, I think that probably cuts into the viewing at small but meaningful levels. High schoolers are a prime group for being too cool to watch animation, and then a majority of them arenā€™t having kids themselves until after the movie is new. Just easy for me to see it falling into a small gap.

Gump is a solid choice. I thought of that too. It just feels like its rep has suffered over time. Dominating the Oscars without being the best movie that year causes a bunch of antagonists to crop up.

This for real?

Yes. But I have watched Ric Flair wrestle many, many times, so I think I get partial credit.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s correct and tbh itā€™s more like 70%.

Still good enough to pass, but good lord man, you need to get on that. 2001 is an amazing movie!

The sequel is also fascinating. I think that and Doctor Sleep are the only cinematic sequels to Stanley Kubrick films made by someone other than Stanley Kubrick.