Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

past lives was great.

Things i’ve watched recently:

Crimes of the future - liked this, love viggo, it wasnt amazing or anything but i appreciated it as original scifi
Nobody - entertaining but average imo
Modern Times - never seen a chaplin flick, i liked it for what it is, too long maybe?
American Fiction - awesome, already posted about
Dr Strangelove - watched it in college and i think kinda went over my head a bit, much better this time around
Past Lives - awesome
The Banshees of Inisherin - interesting movie and good acting, i wish end had a bit more resolution
Anatomy of a Fall - talked about above, liked it alot
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar - I liked this alot, didnt know it was based on Roald Dahl book until the end or after? it has a good message that i wasn’t expecting tbh
Bottoms - liked this but i was hoping for more i thought i remembered seeing rave reviews here and I just didnt find it as funny as i was hoping, i liked marshawn though and the girl thats in the Bear, found the girl with the stepdad funny and the one with the bombs though
El Conde - i liked this alot, the asthetic/cinematography was A+, story was intriguing and cool as well, i would recommend if it sounds interesting to you
Cocaine Bear - wasn’t a fan really honestly
The Babadook - enjoyed this, didnt find it particularly scary but solid horror flick

1 Like

oh also going to see holdovers tonight, i thought there was a late viewing of zone of interest but apparently not so looking at maybe wednesday now

Alright you bastards, I’m going to try again with Fury Road right now. I go in with an open mind and hope my opinion of it vastly improves. But if it’s as worthless as I considered it on first watch, then in the words of Vito Corleone, I’m going to blame some of the people in this room.

3 Likes

If nothing else, you’ll be caught up for the prequel

Smh

bro what, Fury Road is an indisputable masterpiece

The Holdovers

9/10 could easily be talked into a 10/10

Dominic Sessa did great and Giamatti, the king, was amazing.

2 Likes

On the Fury Road Rewathables, someone said that it had a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and Chris Ryan immediately replied, "that’s low. " And he was (and still is) right.

Anyone know where I can stream the original Korean version. I tried a couple of years ago and failed, and then just completely forgot about it. Everywhere I looked it just gave me the remake.

Netflix picked it up about a month ago

1 Like

Alright, I really did try, and I suppose my opinion of Fury Road somewhat improved on this watch, but it remains a tough sit. Can’t imagine ever finding the will to give it a third attempt.

2 Likes

Just finished it as well and yep really great, agreed on giamatti and the kid

I enjoyed it more on the second watch. For me the original suffered because my girlfriend at the time was obsessed with the making of the movie and pumped it up beyond belief. A friend did a similar thing with Pulp Fiction.

For me it’s Road Warrior >>> Fury Road > Beyond Thunderdome >>>>>>>> Mad Max.

Also just watched Holdovers. I give my parents an absolute watch recommendation once every two years or so and I have yet to miss. Yeah this is my next recommendation for them.

Oppenheimer is winning best picture, but Holdovers was a joy

1 Like

One very small touch that I liked

was when they dropped Mary off at her sister’s. A lesser film would have cut away from her and went back to the two men, treating her like an accessory to the story that served its purpose. But the film gives her a couple of shots afterwards with her family and related to her grief, showing her as a full character in the film. That’s probably the thousandth thing on the list that makes this a good film, but it was something that caught my eye

1 Like

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1754597430136332352

4 Likes

Watched maestro, thought it sucked mostly

Rustin

I had never heard of him, so if nothing else I’m glad to be informed of an important person in the 1960s civil rights movement. The movie itself is a little clunky. The direction is all over the place and there are exactly 2 characters with any depth at all. It’s not a bad movie (I’d give it a thumbs up on a strictly binary scale), but the subject deserved better. The only Oscar nomination this movie got was Best Actor, which seems right.

6/10