Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I don’t mean weird as is surprised it is popular. I mean weird as in it’s a metaphysical existential movie steeped in gender theory and riddled with 50 year old movie nerd references. It’s also somehow a pink explosion of girl power mega marketing centering a doll. Oh ya and multiple dimensions!

It’s a genuinely weird weird movie.

1 Like
1 Like

Talk to me

Australian horror movie about some spirit summoning gone wrong.

Went into this expecting a fun horror time, instead this was a very dark and accurate representation of how depressing being a teenager can be. Nothing groundbreaking and I thought the final act was weaker, but still a decent addition to the “feelbad movie” genre (also the “horror but actually it’s about trauma” one) .

(saw this in theaters, with some teenagers chatting non stop which was annoying. this quieted down as the film went on which I guess must mean it was effective)

3 Likes

Oh man, if that is what the movie is, a lot of people are going to HATE it.

The advertising is making it seem like a fun/interesting/scary supernatural romp. It does not seem to indicate in any way a deeper psychological darkness.

1 Like

It was astonishingly bad imo. I watched the last half just because I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

It was also super super weird so I guess it’s not impossible that part just missed me completely and some people might have been into it?

Ah you know it all makes sense when you find out the directors previously worked on The Babadook and brought that director over as their producer for Talk To Me.

The directors have a bunch of old videos up on their still active and instantly bizarre YouTube channel.

1 Like

It definitely has some scary moments (at least in a theater), and some dose of supernatural (which you’re allowed to not take as a metaphor for something else), but not in a really novel way imo, and yeah I would also have preferred more fun, but it is what it is…
So I’ll take the “good”, that at least it allows to connect to some real human experience (the lead actress was also good, or at least very well casted for the part).

How was my boi Zoe Terakes :popcorn::transgender_flag:

He was a goddamn delight in Wentworth (super serious British prison show like the anti-OitNB).

Marvel is currently imploding the MCU from within, but I would show up for a midnight screening of Ironheart.

Plastic Ono Band

Also good ! I thought it was pretty cool that there was a nonbinary or trans character without it being made into a plot point (and tbh I only noticed because when the other characters say “they” the French subtitles translated it as the gender-neutral pronoun “iel” which I do not see very often)

1 Like

NFW okay that is wonderful to hear about the French translation very nice very nice

This has over 10k posts.

@RiskyFlush , you should make a new thread.

Not even the wife?

I’m not even supposed to be here today

2 Likes

I’ve always been a big fan of Melvin Udall responding to being (very reasonably) 86’d by gently informing the manager, “I’m not a…prick. You are, I’m not judging, I’m a great customer,” and the manager having to process that quick-fire set of assertions that included a casual direct insult of him.

2 Likes

We saw this as well last night, I thought it was worth the two-hour investment. I wasn’t expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised.

I was a good halfway through it before realizing I was watching Finn in the lead, that kid has some acting chops.

2 Likes

Lololol I was a romance editor for many years and found an outlandish delight at this movie’s representation of what it can be like for a fan to finally meet their favorite author.

Writes sweet stories does not mean they are a sweet person.

He’s lucky Darla didn’t vamp his ass!

2 Likes

She kind of got a heads up right before that exchange too. Right in front of her: comes in and asks a big favor of his editor, which the editor reluctantly says she’ll try to accommodate. Then she tries to share her good news that her son got into Brown, and Melvin has not one moment to be polite about it. “Uhh, yeah, good, nice, thrilled, exciting…you don’t have to wait with me.” Editor stomps off at how rude he is. Then the woman at reception beelines right for him anyway.

1 Like

Lol right I sort of appreciated that Mel Brooks took a shot at both.

That’s such a good movie. Great Greg Kinnear role. I’d say this role from Cuba Gooding is my favorite over Rod Tidwell.

And some of the lines Melvin says to Helen Hunt omg. Not just the awful stuff but the good stuff lol.

It’s fun to hear him reveal when he began taking “the pills” again because she makes him want to be a better man. You can totally track the sudden but subtle shift in him.

Edited to add: if you want an out of industry POV on the movie, Choice Theory by William Glasser examines the movie from the POV of a therapist (and offers clues to which romance author Melvin was based on)

It’s one of my all-time favorites and one of my most-watched. “I’d be the luckiest guy alive if that did it for me” is such an awesome moment after what he was at the start.

Once in a while in life, I’m able to locate the perfect moment to crib from Simon and sneer at someone, “well then get in your jammies and I’ll read you a story.” Love that whole final sequence between them.

1 Like