Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Lol my edit lmao

Oppenheimer was very watchable for a 3 hour movie. I didnā€™t take a bathroom break, and I didnā€™t notice anyone else in the theater taking one either. Only complaint was that the sex scene was not in fact 15 minutes long as rumored above. Couldā€™ve used more of that Opp bod.

2 Likes

Trolly, I saw this scene and thought omg could The Final do for horror in 2010 what Scream did in 1996?

Then I watched the trailer and uh :flushed:

I think this looks too much for me, but on the off chance you watch it or have seen itā€¦

I think we can all agree that the Dong character in 16 candles is pretty racist, although Iā€™m not sure itā€™s even as offensive as how the blond girl is treated after sheā€™s passed out.

Probably a more subtle type of possible racism is Uncle Roger, a character performed by Nigel Ng whom he claims is based on the old men he knew when he was a child. Kenji Lopez-Alt called it being akin to blackfaceā€¦although is it any more offensive than Billy Crystal portraying and satirizing old Jewish men?

2 Likes

Itā€™s an interesting topic. I do think itā€™s different for someone to make a joke / create a character related to their own ethnicity / heritage. It can definitely still be offensive, but it definitely isnā€™t as racist to me as John Hughes creating a character named Long Duk Dong. Iā€™m not sure where that leaves G. Watanabe. And itā€™s definitely not for me to judge, thatā€™s between him and the cultures he portrayed.

And yeah hoo boy there sure are a lot of 80s movies that aged baaaaaadly. Sixteen Candles, Revenge of the Nerds, Mr. Mom, Gung Ho.

Ok I feel stupid for not recognizing Robert Downey Jr. in Oppenheimer, even though I knew he was in this at some point

lol how is that possible? I think the best spin is that you were so gripped by the drama and his performance was so authentic that the actor disappeared and you only saw the character.

2 Likes

Get busy or Iā€™ll kick your ass on the tandem excercise bike

It was hard because he never said Iā€™m Iron Man

Also, wasnā€™t he in black and white and old man makeup most of the time?

2 Likes

IMO he was extremely recognizable at all times, but thatā€™s just one manā€™s opinion.

Did you recognize Gary Oldman as Truman?

Nah but that dudeā€™s a master of disguise. Last time I saw him he was a slovenly MI5 agent

In Revenge of the Nerds, the spying on the sorority and handing out their nude photos was pretty bad, even though they were owed some kind of retribution. I also wondered if I was supposed to feel bad for the cheerleader who ā€œmistakenlyā€ screws Lewis instead of her jock boyfriend, Stan Gable? I mean, even with a mask on, is there any way someone could mistake Robert Carradine for Ted McGinley? :grin:

Right like another beloved cool dude was Pat Morita, who also added a fauxcent for two of his most popular characters from Karate Kid and Happy Days

This reminds me of my favorite anecdote about Revenge of the Nerds. The 80s movie nerd archetype was essentially invented by the character actor Eddie Deezen (best known as Eugene from Grease although I favor his turn as Wesley in Midnight Madness). Revenge of the Nerds was basically a rip off of his lifeā€™s work. Nonetheless, when the production was announced he was quite excited as he though he finally had a legit shot in a leading role. Instead he was told that they wanted good looking guys to play nerds, not actual nerds.

Barbie is for sure the weirdest blockbuster ever made. If it wasnā€™t for the IP it would be odd for a film fest movie.

I canā€™t believe this got made and it making a zillion dollars.

Really seems like right place, right time is helping fuel Barbie mania. Perhaps we just didnā€™t know how much latent love was out there for the ip.

1 Like

The IP must detract some people too. Itā€™s basically an ad for one of the worst body-shaming products of all time. If it wasnā€™t for this thread I would never even consider watching it.

1 Like

I missed that one

One of the things that struck me most about that movie was how much he was a douchebag. Looked it up afterwards and it was relatively true about him (minus some condensing/changes for the screen)

I read a treasured take that Margot Robbie is a big reason the movie is doing so well.

Not because she is that amazing on her own, but because she has enough power now to have told the studio to let Greta Gerwig do what she wants and donā€™t you dare cut x/y/z scene.

Before Greta and Margot were attached to the movie, it was going to star Amy Schumer. Mattel had a very different movie in mind. We were saved by a confluence of elements and people who helped us see a singular vision of Barbie.

When asked what happened on an episode of Bravoā€™s Watch What Happens, Schumer joked, ā€œThey said I was too thin.ā€ But she has since then opened up about what really happened.

Schumer told The Hollywood Reporter in 2022 that an incident involving a Jell-O shoe led to her exit.

ā€œThey definitely didnā€™t want to do it the way I wanted to do it, the only way I was interested in doing it,ā€ she told the outlet, confirming that she wanted the character to be an ā€œinventor,ā€ but that the studio wanted her invention to be a shoe made out of the sweet treat. ā€œThe idea that thatā€™s just what every woman must want, right there, I should have gone, ā€˜Youā€™ve got the wrong gal.ā€™ā€

You donā€™t need to look any further to how bad it would have been than to see what Mattel is doing in the wake of Barbieā€™s success.

Rebooted?

No no. Reclaimed.

2 Likes