Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Yeah, I skip that part whenever I rewatch the movie.

1 Like

Y’all take a good look at this lump a shit.

And the next one of y’all coppin’ zzz’s in the bush, I’m personally gonna take an interest in seeing them suffer.

21 Great Gender Funky Short Films To See Before You Die

In the Bedroom was a nice surprise. Barely knew the movie existed and knew almost nothing about it. Tom Wilkinson and Sissy Spacek were both elite; I see that Spacek got the Golden Globe, but just fell short on the Oscar. Felt beneficial to the viewing experience that I knew nothing about the plot beyond “Marisa Tomei is a single mother dating a younger dude.” 8/10.

1 Like

unforgiven-Yurusarezaru-mono-posters610

Unforgiven (2013)

Man, this is great, stands on par with the original. Must-see if you love Western epics. Ken Watanabe you will recognize from a million Hollywood blockbusters; he is amazing as always but Akira Emoto just steals the show playing the Morgan Freeman character. The back and forth ping-pong game between Westerns and samurai movies carries on.

3 Likes

THIS ALSO HAS KEN WATANABE?!

What mana from heaven

I think basically everyone here will recognize Ken Watanabe as a supporting actor but I don’t think he’s ever had a leading Hollywood role. It’s too bad, he’s outstanding.

1 Like

And I said, “Don’t forget the coffee.”

"Bullshit. You didn’t say that. "

3 Likes

Time’s up, Bo-Peep

Fuck you

You’re the shepherd

1 Like
2 Likes

I got confused. I thought you were taking about Gedde Watanabe.

1 Like

Does Watanabe deserve any scorn for the characters he played, or is it 100% on people like John Hughes?

I have heard other Asians talk about this and they mostly say they would have taken those jobs at the time because those were the roles available to Asian actors at the time.

Watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

It seems rather odd that casting Timothy Olyphant in something just automatically means he has a quick-draw scene.

Safe bet. He’s a regular at Unstuck:

6 Likes

What Ken Watanabe character deserves scorn?

2 Likes

He’s talking about the other Watanabe that Trolly mentioned in the 16 candles clip (who is a pretty offensive stereotype).

1 Like

Gedde Watanabe.

This article is old 2001 but he talked a lot about the reactions.

Although Watanabe is most recognizable to mainstream American as Dong, this 46-year old actor has mingled on Broadway, in movies, T.V. and voice-overs. He has a recurring role as Yosh Takata in ER, has performed in plays like Ikebana, was the voice for Ling in Mulan, and played a variety of small parts on hit sitcoms such as Seinfeld and Murphy Brown.

The wiry, boyish-looking actor carries off such performances so memorably that audiences often forget that his role is, well, merely a role.

Watanabe says that his foreign accents are contrived — he speaks no Japanese, and his only exposure to Asian accents is that of his older relatives. As a “very serious, sensitive, and isolated child” who grew up in Ogden, Utah, he believes his need for expression had to do with being a minority in his hometown.

Hmmm! Hmmm. Hmmm.

Fellow actor Rodney Kageyama says, “Mr. Crazy Watanabe? He’s wonderful. We don’t take any crap from him,” he jokes. “He’s very professional and self-sacrificing.”

Watanabe interjects, “Sounds like I’m Jewish.”

Kageyama continues, “Stereotypes? We’re all stereotypes – every minute of the day, whatever we eat, do, think, read. We take roles and we make it as truthful as we can. [Asian American] actors are putting themselves out there,” Kageyama says.

He had another interview much later in 2014 with Vulture.

You’ve heard a thousand times that Long Duk Dong is an offensive stereotype of a young Asian man who just arrived in this country, I’m sure.

Yes, and all I’ll say about that is that because there weren’t enough Asians onscreen, comedy was kind of looked down upon. I was not in the film business. I was studying theater in New York. It was my first movie and I had no idea what I was stepping into. I know that periphery is loosening. But because there were so few Asian actors onscreen at that time, people were looking for Kurosawa in a comedy and Sixteen Candles wasn’t that kind of movie.

And to single out your character to me misses the point. Sixteen Candles is filled with stereotypes — the blonde queen bees, the uptight grandparents, the bratty little brothers, the Greek in-laws — which serve to make Molly Ringwald’s very normal desire for a great 16th birthday and a handsome boyfriend seem that much funnier.

Yes, the movie isn’t mean to the character and doesn’t single him out. A lot of people complained when the grandmother kicked me: Why does the Asian kid need to get kicked?

[Were there any other improvised scenes that got deleted?]

Apparently there was a scene where Debbie and I were in bed and smoking that got deleted. Also a great rap song the Donger did at the gym that got everybody dancing that I hope Universal brings back on some future release. That scene was so much “Here’s everything this guy loved about America.”

What is 46-year-old Long Duk Dong doing now?

He’s lost some of his hair. He has eight or nine kids, I would imagine. They are all not in the arts. By choice! [ Laughs. ] Probably lots of grandchildren. It’s a mixed marriage. Probably married someone blonde so his kids are mixed race. Actually, he’s probably been married a few times. And for someone who fell so in love with America, he’s probably changed his name. Some of his kids are in the arts, one in a rock band probably, some are teachers, a few doctors. I think he owns restaurants. They’re kinda famous. And he’s kinda well known for it. And he’s about to make a bid for the L.A. Clippers.

If anyone deserves scorn, it’s @LFS for getting those two guys mixed up.

1 Like

It’s the least of his evils, I assure you!