Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Yes, very much so. Also want to throw out the Italian jobs

1 Like

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Lol Lord Baltimore on they asses

Itā€™s been a long time since I saw it.

I think I just liked how they continued the story and revealed stuff about characters from the first movie. Trying not to spoil anything.

But I am looking at the poster for part 2 and yeah you can tell which one was made for American audiences.

Well thanks for ruining that movie! :grin:

Another one thatā€™s okay on first watch but then you look deeper is Donā€™t Breathe 2 imo

1 Like

Barbie was good! Went places I didnā€™t necessarily expect.

My favorite line: Thanks, white savior Barbie.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Finally got around to Brokeback Mountain. Great movie, and really deserved better than the way it got hijacked through no fault of its own into the broader conversation as some sort of culture war flashpoint. This still hits as a standout film today even when there is much less novelty to having a same-sex romance in the center of a mainstream picture. I already knew that Heath Ledger was a special talent, but this deepened my appreciation for him. Iā€™m fully expecting this to be a good rewatch in the future.

4 Likes

:heart::heart:

Adapted for film by Diana Ossana alongside her regular co author Larry McMurtry. Interview with Diana discussing Stephen King!

Iā€™m in part 2 of the interview, but nobody cares what I think, especially when Iā€™m just firing shots at King.

1 Like

I care

1 Like

Brokeback Mountain is one of the best and most tragic love stories Iā€™ve ever seen on film.

3 Likes

I liked Crash more than most people, but it winning Best Picture over Brokeback Mountain was criminal.

1 Like

I saw Crash when it was new and remember liking it, but I remember very little about it. Having not seen any of its competition (and I still havenā€™t seen the other three BP nominees from this year), it didnā€™t strike me as an unreasonable winner.

I have to think, fresh off Brokeback, that it was the better movie. But I may have to revisit Crash at some point. I realize itā€™s wildly unpopular with many.

I probably should rephrase my earlier statement.

ā€œCriminalā€ should be reserved for more extreme miscarriages of justice, like Green Book winning over Roma.

1 Like

I liked Green Book too, but I havenā€™t seen Roma. From that year Iā€™ve just seen Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, Black Panther, and A Star is Born. I do intend to backfill my knowledge of as many Best Picture nominees as I can over time. They donā€™t make it terribly easy these days with this 10-nominee shit.

After Oppenheimer, flip back to the opening scene of The Wolverine to see the bomb drop on the Canuck while he was a Japanese POW

i landed on the hulu home page and i saw this and recognized the name from you posting about it. it said ā€œfor comedy fansā€ under it and i was ready for a laugh so i popped it on. everyone was good and it was interesting but it was a very sad story, not a single laugh.

3 bags of popcorn

1 Like

I mean itā€™s kinda funny that they suggested this as a comedy lol but also yikes

Right itā€™s not exactly five bags especially given that they donā€™t do more with two Jims, but as a showcase for Gaffiganā€™s talent, itā€™s quite something

So much running.

run for fun

4 Likes

I havenā€™t seen Crash since it was released but I remember it being way too heavy-handed with its message and was kind of turned off with how on the nose it was. But I guess movies with a social message tend to be that way because the creators think that if they are subtle that people wonā€™t get it.

Itā€™s kind of why I find movies that are really into that annoying even when I agree with the point theyā€™re trying to make.

Thatā€™s precisely how I felt about Donā€™t Look Up. Most ham-fisted shit Iā€™ve ever seen.

1 Like

Watched The Queen last night. Significant slow spots along the way and I thought I might really dislike it, though by the end it tied together in a way that I felt like I could stand back and have some appreciation for the piece of art the director created. 6/10.

Helen Mirren got an Oscar for this, and while she was certainly good as a person would expect, it wouldnā€™t have stood out to me as an Oscar-winning performance; I think she hit the pitch just right, but it didnā€™t strike me as asking a lot of her. A little surprised Michael Sheen didnā€™t get a Best Supporting Actor nomination for his work as Tony Blair here; I thought his performance was integral to what the movie was. I remember enjoying him in Frost/Nixon too, though I havenā€™t seen that since it was new.

1 Like