Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

LFG :popcorn:

1 Like

In Get Shorty, Travolta explains how John Wayne plays the same character in three westerns, which are all basically the same movie. Obviously Rio Bravo is the best of these and I instantly recognized the scene on the tv in the background.

Jackie Brown has a great soundtrack.

2 Likes

Lolololol

You make me want to watch Get Shorty again ASAP. And Gene Hackman!! Has he ever been funnier?

I wish Rene Russo was still cast as often. She was great in this and the remake of The Thomas Crowne Affair.

3 Likes

Get Shorty such a great watch, it’s a movie that’s been badly overlooked.

1 Like

A gripping thriller chronicling three couples over the course of one fateful night in an LA restaurant. Hunter (Ryan Phillippe) finds himself on an awkward blind date with the captivating Tamira (Kat Graham), while a busboy (Dylan Flashner) and his girlfriend (Aisha Dee) are hiding mounds of cocaine to score a big payday, and outside, Peter (Jim Gaffigan) sits in his car observing his wife’s (Drea de Matteo) infidelity with the restaurant’s manager (David Cade). Though all strangers, their stories are weaved together as they hurl towards an explosive end.

I’m not sure if I can recommend this movie, so I’ll just describe it as the thriller version of Crash. It is THAT on the nose.

But if that isn’t a deal breaker for you, Mukunda Michael Dewil is a former monk from South Africa now just making movies and stuff. His most recent The Immaculate Room shows this guy is definitely taking some swings.

The Immaculate Room tells the story of Mike (Emile Hirsch) and Kate (Kate Bosworth), a seemingly perfect couple, join a psychological experiment to compete for 5 million dollars if they can last 50 days in a sleek, white room in complete isolation. No phones, no family – only the Voice of the Immaculate Room keeping them in check if they think of straying. But as the clock ticks down, the Room becomes more than it seems, putting them through cruel tests to break their resolve and resurfacing private demons which they may not survive.

Both are streaming on Hulu (US).

PS. Jim Gaffigan has quickly ascended to the same throne as other holy shit comedic actors who can also nail intense drama. See him also in Linoleum.

Cameron Edwin, the host of a failing TV science show for children, has always had aspirations of being an astronaut. When a mysterious satellite coincidentally falls from space and lands in his backyard, his midlife crisis manifests into a plan to rebuild the machine into a rocket. As surreal events start to unfold around him, he slowly realizes that there’s more to his life story than he once thought.

1 Like

I watched and enjoyed Double Indemnity a couple of times, despite some of the dialogue and delivery sounding corny, likely because of the way film noir pictures have been satirized.

+1

It was way less heavy-handed than I expected. Robert Downey Jr.'s performance was excellent but I think the movie could have benefited from less of him/his storyline - the only times I felt the movie dragging were when his stuff was going on.

2 Likes

IMG_6769

High-pitched Gaffigan voice: Oh my God. A satellite fell into my backyard. It must have been due to my gravitational pull!

1 Like

2022 puss in boots was really good lol

1 Like

How to blow up a pipeline

This is the best “heist” film since Inside Man. The writer and director have seen every heist film ever made and have taken the best parts of them all and distilled them into this amazing movie.

It’s much more nuanced about the politics than I expected as well.

Just outstanding.

Grade: A

1 Like

Barbie

Decent movie, definitely go see if you have a daughter.

Daughter (10) - 5/5. Was dancing in (and out of) her seat a few times when the Barbie’s were taking back Dreamland. Loved all the refences to silly doll jokes. Enjoyed the female empowerment message and wanted to talk about it after the movie.

Me - 3.5/5. Acting was solid - especially the leads. Some decent jokes. I thought the message was good, even if a bit overhanded at points. Clearly a very liberal audience as when one character gave a two minute monologue about how hard it is for women, someone shouted “Amen” to cheers and laughs. The was one patriarchy joke that seemed to go to far, as it got a few groans. Movie was a bit long and bloated (almost 2 hours). Will Farrell character in particular was pretty pointless and wasted opportunity.

1 Like

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GranularAmpleHusky-max-1mb.gif

Dude just plays the same role over and over and over and over.

1 Like
1 Like

Pretty awesome to see. Sad that within a year we will be back to the “movies aimed at women don’t make money” narrative.

“I always said something should happen to Bruce Wayne to want to stop being Batman,” Muschietti explained, “and my idea was, he did something that goes against his code and killed a criminal in front of [the criminal’s] child — not knowingly, but he still did it.”

The director added that it would have been “an exact mirroring situation of what happened to him when his parents were killed in front of him [next to] Monarch Theaters, and that created the monster that Batman is.”

I watched it this morning. It’s pretty good.

1 hr 40 min > more than 2 hr movies

It’s stripped down and making a fictional movie about a very political book there’s a huge temptation for some liberal finger wagging and the politics are there but it doesn’t really revel in self righteousness. It’s like here’s what they’re doing, here’s why they’re doing it, and now back to the heist.

It had a good twist too

I got curious and watched this, and I wouldn’t describe it with such kind words as you lol…At least it had a few surprises and was pretty gorey. Also for a movie that mostly plays it serious, there’s a moment when

they’ve been fighting in some filthy water, after the fight they see some small floating materials and are like “ugh what is this”, then a creature shows up on the higher level, turns around and…takes a shit ?
I guess that’s one way to subvert the audience’s expectations “oh you sickos like to see women covered in blood ? Well what about covered in shit ?” They got me there (I did not like it lol)

1 Like