Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Have you read the book it’s based on?

My first year I was at Mattel, J.J. Abrams came in and did a fireside chat with the leadership team. I remember him saying that he decides to take a movie when he reads it and the hair stands up on your neck and it makes you feel scared. That’s when he knew it was something he should do.

I do not feel bad about reading a bunch of Oppenheimer spoilers.

No but going to.

Did learn that my dog is named after a nazi. Oops.

His name is Heisenberg!

I knew enough of the science history to name him but not enough to know he led the nazi effort.

1 Like

In line for snacks at the movie theater. The whole place is packed. I think I can guess who is seeing Barbie and who is seeing Oppenheimer (I’m here for Barbie).

3 Likes

If you were to view yourself from afar, which box would you put yourself in?

Barbie - I came prepared

Movie was surprisingly good with moments of pure cinema

5/5

This one went wildly off the rails during the hot take segment. Glad Fennessey was there to aggressively underline how crazy Bill was being.

I just listened to My Cousin Vinny on a run and almost fell over at Wesley’s nuclear take that Joe Pesci is sexy.

Yeah, I was unfamiliar with Wesley, so until he mentioned a boyfriend in this latest episode I didn’t realize he was gay. When I heard that take about Pesci I assumed he had to just be a straight dude trying to give a galaxy-brain take.

I watched Unforgiven last night for the first time in 10 years or so. Still holds up. I didn’t find it slow at all. So many good quotes that I still use at random times. I put as my #1 western just over The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. After that I’d have to think about it.

3 Likes

I’ve only seen Unforgiven once, and it was too long ago to remember it well, but I remember being really disappointed and finding it really dull overall. It’s the same relationship I have with Raging Bull. I feel like I owe both of them another go at some point. Sometimes the second viewing really does click, especially if my complaint is that the movie was dull; that’s the easiest one to fix by gaining a deeper understanding.

Then again, it feels like a really stupid use of movie time when it misses for the second straight time; it’s like the only thing that was accomplished was being able to permanently write off the possibility of liking the movie. I’m looking at you, Vertigo and Inception.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is elite and definitely rates as my favorite western. High Noon was great and would be my #2. I’m not overly well versed in westerns though.

1 Like

2 Likes

More like loves talking about Barbie being the end of masculinity.

1 Like

Lol probably true

Gerwig’s film is towering over Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer, the weekend’s other new wide release.

Barbie started off with a stupendous $70.5 million on Friday, including $22.3 million in previews. If early modeling is correct, the Warner Bros. movie is headed for a historic $155 million-plus opening domestically [and] a projected international debut as high as $120 million.

The next closest 2023 launch belonged to Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse ($120.7 million), followed by Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 ($118.4 million) and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania ($106.9 million). Otherwise, many releases haven’t been able to inch past the $100 million mark.

Nolan’s movie earned $33 million on Friday for a projected $77 million weekend, which would mark the filmmaker’s third-biggest domestic debut behind The Dark Knight Rises ($160.9 million) and The Dark Knight ($158.4 million), not adjusted for inflation. It also will come in ahead of recent summer pics including The Flash, Elemental and Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

Barbenheimer isn’t making life easy for Tom Cruise starrer Mission: Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One, which posted a five-day debut of $78.5 million after launching in U.S. theaters on July 12. Early estimates show the film dropping more than 55 percent to $20 million-$21 million in its second outing despite even better reviews than Barbie and Oppenheimer. Right now, it is in a close race with Sound of Freedom for third place.

Sound of Freedom

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnlawfulHeartyChanticleer-size_restricted.gif

Billed as a political thriller, the faith-based movie stars The Passion of the Christ’s Jim Caviezel as the real-life Tim Ballard, who worked as an agent for the Department of Homeland Security before embarking on his own quest to bring child traffickers to justice. While the conservative-leaning Sound of Freedom has been discussed on QAnon message boards, Angel says it isn’t a QAnon movie. In late 2021, Caviezel spoke at a QAnon convention in Las Vegas, where he invoked the QAnon slogan, “The storm is upon us.”

Damn that is a devastating paragraph for my love for twenty year old Jim Caviezel movies.

The South has gone WOKE???

1 Like

Last night I finished MI2 on Pluto. Took 4 sessions over a week. I’m not going to watch Oppenheimer in a theater. My favorite western is Rio Bravo. I guess I’m just not a movie guy.

2 Likes

Good post. since you mentioned The Insider recently, I have to say that rewatching it last month was this for me, exact same feelings as when I saw it in high school : well-made but ultimately too predictable/obvious for me to care about any of it.
(On the other hand, I got a higher appreciation for many of the other Michael Mann’s I rewatched last year)

90% of the time a rewatch will have me feel the exact same, but it’s still worth to try…
And some of my favorite movies I only liked on my second watch (Vertigo, Heaven’s Gate), although this probably had a lot to do to only watching them on a small screen/bad quality the first time.

Speaking of rewatches, this is one I should try again. Old school Hollywood is something I wasn’t keen on when I was young, as I was more interested in movies where the director shows off with his visual style, or there is some sort of surprises/edginess, which you don’t see often in Hollywood 40s/50s. But for instance I rewatched “His Girl Friday” recently and loved it (unlike high school me). Maybe I’m at the point where I can understand why old school cinephiles adored John Ford / Howard Hawkes (neither really ever clicked for me).

1 Like

Wait is Mario Bros a 2022 movie?

1 Like

I mainly like Rio Bravo because it’s fun. Idk anything about movie making or acting. Wayne did it as a response to High Noon, so it’s political in some ways but I could have gone my whole life without knowing that.